Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Surviving the Cut  (Read 366 times)

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Surviving the Cut
« on: June 03, 2013, 02:12:31 pm »

So, I'm trying to generate a new pocket world. Pocket because crippling cheeseballs everything is s FAST. I also made it so there's only 1 cavern, so I don't have to build 90 pumps to get magma to the surface, or have some strange 90-high staircase to the bottom of the world. Everything is going fine, the world has no problems being created.. the issue I'm having is entire civilizations being wiped out. I cannot seem to generate a world where either the humans, goblins, elves, and necromancers, or some combination of thm, get stomped out before the world history finishes. I toned it back from 1050 years to 500 years, but somehow that only seemed to make things worse. Is there any way I can toughen then up, make them more likely to survive?
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Surviving the Cut
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 02:14:45 pm »

Pocket because crippling cheeseballs everything is s FAST.

what is this I don't even...
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 02:16:08 pm »

So, I'm trying to generate a new pocket world. Pocket because crippling cheeseballs everything is s FAST. I also made it so there's only 1 cavern, so I don't have to build 90 pumps to get magma to the surface, or have some strange 90-high staircase to the bottom of the world. Everything is going fine, the world has no problems being created.. the issue I'm having is entire civilizations being wiped out. I cannot seem to generate a world where either the humans, goblins, elves, and necromancers, or some combination of thm, get stomped out before the world history finishes. I toned it back from 1050 years to 500 years, but somehow that only seemed to make things worse. Is there any way I can toughen then up, make them more likely to survive?

In a pocket world, not all of the civilizations are generated, so that could be one of the problems.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 02:19:37 pm »

Hm. Well what if I increase the number of spawned civilizations? I don't really need 30 different elven cities, but if it gives me the rest of them, I'd be okay with it.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 03:26:35 pm »

Hm. Well what if I increase the number of spawned civilizations? I don't really need 30 different elven cities, but if it gives me the rest of them, I'd be okay with it.

Or maybe decrease it. Play a bit with civ number, you'll find an optimum for long-term survival.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."