Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Newb question  (Read 783 times)

eclipse412

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Newb question
« on: June 04, 2013, 12:43:15 pm »

I have just started playing and I have looked everywhere. I was digging and made stairs. One lvl down I think I hit water, but I am not sure because the is no real good icon set description i can find. I get a flashing blue 7 then X combo. The next lvl down I have ore and other things. I am trying to connect the two stairs and everything but I am at a lose. Also I am using lazy newb and have aquafers turned off.
Thanks,
E

obsidian919

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Newb question
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 12:49:32 pm »

Yes, that would be water. For the stairs issue, I assume that you made a downward stairway on the first z level using the  (d)esignations menu. You can use the up/down stairway (i on the designations menu) for the lower z levels. I hope that answers your questions.
Creating a dynasty of dwarven leadership and seeing their bravest sons grow up to claim glory far in excess of their humble beginnings as parasitic booze leeches.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 12:55:30 pm »

As for information about what you see - hit k and position the cursor over things. Then you will get a description of what is under the cursor.

I wonder, how can you have water digging one level down if aquifers are turned off? Only if there were an adjacent water tile like a river of pond which I doubt. Are you sure that aquifers are turned off? (You have to do that before world generation.)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 01:07:19 pm by Laurin »

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 01:09:09 pm »

what you're describing sounds like an aquifer.  Can disabling aquifers be done on the fly without re-genning the world?  I don't know.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 01:10:25 pm »

what you're describing sounds like an aquifer.  Can disabling aquifers be done on the fly without re-genning the world?  I don't know.

No.

eclipse412

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 04:22:15 pm »

Thanks guys.
Time to regenerate the world.

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 04:49:49 pm »

You can also use the site finder with aquifers set to "No" on the current world and embark there.
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 04:59:10 pm »

No.
Yes.

Only BEFORE you embark.  If you've embarked already, the map is set, but if you haven't embarked then you can change aquifers.  I assume this also works when you're doing the second fort on the same world.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 12:36:41 am »

Is that really true? I don't think that already generated aquifers are removed by checking this option ...

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 01:17:15 am »

If the LNB contains dfhack then you can also run the 'drainquifer' command to remove the aquifer from a current (embarked) fortress

Ranalcus

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Model Kit Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 02:13:02 am »

What?
Thats like CHEATING!
A Dorf would use:

Engineering and Science NOT a DFHack

Df Strong! Remove Aquifer!
*Accordion Background Music*
Mountainhome Stong!
Remove Tree-Fondling-Hippies!

Fenrisson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 06:55:14 am »

One can get rid of the aquifer via df hack - but that is undwarfy - I personally hate the extra work so I dont embark near aquifer. If you check the wiki there are several methods to get past them - I would suggest you should tackle aquifers after you know the game a bit better.

Good luck and have FUN

Parsley

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 08:40:43 am »

Unless you have only a single biome, there are also likely places on your map the aquifer doesn't cover, or places which have their aquifer at a different level. It may take a bit of exploratory mining, but you can get around them most of the time. Otherwise, just get through it. All it takes is some patience and thought. And remember, losing is FUN.