Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]

Author Topic: Reassembly: 2D Shape based space ship combat simulator  (Read 34683 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Reassembly: 2D Shape based space ship combat simulator
« Reply #180 on: December 25, 2015, 07:11:49 pm »

Protip: you can totally put a factory on your battleship.

Cover everything in thick sheets of armor, it's something I often notice about new ships: they're all parts and no armor, so they die easily. Armor is sturdy and regenerates really quickly, so it'll greatly increase the survivability of your ships.

Burst Lasers are amazing for PD but expensive in both power and P.

If you hadn't noticed already: power blocks explode when they're destroyed. Doesn't stop me putting them all next to my core, thoum

Also add me on steam if you haven't already, I always appreciate more ships to do silly tourneys with. (and I have my own fleet consisting of almost two dozen ships of varying usefulness and silliness)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 26, 2015, 08:32:57 am »

Becoming a factory ship and finding a nice r-rich asteroid belt was totally a great idea.
I'm now in control of a fleet of quite a bunch of ships and nothing can stop me unless some dude rams himself through my ships and kills me outright... Which might be a problem but so far it hasn't been. :V

Spoiler: Good times. (click to show/hide)

Granted, my individual ships are...not top of the line or anything but the numbers overwhelm absolutely anything that gets close to me, and I can pump them really damn quickly so who cares. At this point I'm worried how many ships is too many when it comes to my PC. :V

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 26, 2015, 10:10:41 am »

Eh, the fun thing for me, insofar as construction goes, is to just build something that has a factory block and great frothing mounds of resource gen blocks, if the faction has access to 'em. Then I'll fly it around building stuff, usually including more of itself. In fairly short order, huge swaths of the map are just buried in swarms and swarms of junk :V

It's actually a fairly good idea to make one or two immobile designs like that, maybe without the factory block, and build them near ship producing stations -- it's a good way to hypercharge unit production and bury sectors under a tide of steel.

Incidentally, you can copy the design of stations and edit them, and once you've done that they have a chance to start showing up when you mosey over to an unclaimed one. Unless I'm really caring about aesthetics (that never happens :P), I pretty inevitably end up making huge immobile block fortresses bristling with long range weapons, huge banks of armor/hulling, and possibly some resource generation. Stops things from taking the stations back over, ehehehe.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 26, 2015, 01:10:51 pm »

My favorite thing was always to just put missiles, missiles everywhere on my spaceboat and Macross my enemies to death.  It kills things pretty hard if they don't dodge it, though I get killed pretty hard back unless I'm quick about getting out of firing range.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 26, 2015, 06:14:42 pm »

Missiles are great, yeah. You want some long-range thingies to melt their shields, missiles to melt their hull and some PD (starting faction you want to use burst lasers. Most other factions also have a good laser for this I think) to melt their missiles.

... Especially if you're playing farmers, like I am right now. This is actually really fun, a nice change of pace from flying around in my personal death star, surrounded by a swarm of drones so immense that I literally have to move really slowly to prevent them from unloading.

Farmers are weak as shit, but I'm having fun. Their missiles pack a serious punch, so I'm putting lots of missiles on all of my stuff. Even more than I already was. The ships are also pretty slow, which is bad when groups of enemies melt you down easily. That said, I'm flying alone right now.

My ship has eight or something MC2s set to ripple fire and four medium missile launchers. Two station defense lasers act as PD and deal with tiny ships. Unobtanium struts line the command compartment and form the second layer of armor, after one or two layers of normal armor. Under that is a LOT of normal armor. It also has shields but due to the incremental nature of all player ships there is no space for size 2 shields, so it's all small shields scattered around the ship. Thrusters are external; fitting them inside is simply too hard. It can take down most non-capital ships, given all few tries, good maneuvering and not being outnumbered. I haven't had the chance to fight much else than Reds and agent fleets, though... Reds I can almost deal with, agent fleets just tear me apart.

Current ship designs include two flavors of mostly unarmed factories with seed launchers  (but no solar panels), two small drones, lined with unobtanium. One has a medium missile launcher and two small guns, the other one has two big guns. 200 and 400 P respectively.
Then I have two medium-sized ships of about 1500 P, my personal ship and another gunship equipped with heavier guns and more missiles. Both obviously make heavy use of unobtanium.
All original designs have been scrapped due to being awful and ineffective.

This is really fun. Somebody wrote a strategy guide for this faction and I'm keeping it open in a tab. Can't wait to start building a greenhouse supership. So far, the small factory ships have been hugely successful and have easily multiplied in my absence, creating lots of tiny drones and somewhat bigger medium ships in the process. Early in the game I decided to build a ship consisting solely of solar panels to grind C. I did not anticipate the station I was grinding on suddenly making more of these ships. In a stroke of demented genius I added factory blocks to my resource grinder, and before I realised the consequences of my actions the entire screen was flooded with solar panels. I've deleted the design and moved to a different part of the galaxy.

FE:
Oh god I should be sleeping why did I write half a dozen paragraphs on my fledgling fleet.

I'll gibe screenshots when I'm not in bed and supposed to be sleeping.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 26, 2015, 07:18:35 pm »

I really wish this game had true multiplayer. It would be cool to play with/against other players instead of having to do it by proxy with the tournament mode.

I'd buy Reassembly MMO in an instant.
Or even just regular small scale multiplayer (with some AI still).

Really I wish the game could give a sense of a more true, proper space war, instead of the bunch of smaller skirmishes it is now. There's some strategy but it doesn't feel all that grand.
Don't get me wrong, the game is fun as it is, but I can't not notice that teeny bit of wasted potential there. :r

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 26, 2015, 07:21:29 pm »

I just wish I could control ships in tournament mode. Maybe even switch between them. That would be really neat.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 26, 2015, 09:31:54 pm »

i would be happy if they implemented the rest of the factions for gameplay. also it seems structures dont really have an importance, just resource and energy generators.

and not all the races can actually expand their structures, for example the buildings of the bees or the borg squares are only avaliable in certain places.

there's also the issue with the plant faction which well, lag generation aside, its not avaliable for play either.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 27, 2015, 11:34:34 am »

im fairly sure some simple mods could make those factions playable, but i doubt theyd be very interesting to play.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 29, 2015, 12:56:00 pm »

So, just to spite an overplanning and symmetry-loving friend of mine who was watching me have a turn at the game, I decided to totally randomly put a ship together without any sort of planning or reason it is a hideous gun-propelled mess and somehow it never died on its way up to 8000p and now it still dominates everything it runs into somehow.

Here is the Tinkrell horror:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I even had to put an arrow on the front to know which way was which >.>
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 12:58:23 pm by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 29, 2015, 01:07:21 pm »

My best ship so far was a maxed-out point ship that was literally just a thin frame with long arms, docked full of missiles with a few shields. It pretty much just killed anything that came near it. I called it M.O.T.H.E.R.

Unfortunately that was on an old save.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 29, 2015, 02:24:52 pm »

i've been playing the star wars mod... its hard.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 29, 2015, 04:10:38 pm »

after making a satisfactory farmer fleet, i have started playing with the sentinels.

i'm currently just flying through the galaxy at maximum speed without stopping for anything. this is too much fun.

also 2x2 armor plating blocks for some reason dont have a P cost, so i made a station composed entirely out of those blocks so i could just use the rest for missiles and guns.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 29, 2015, 09:22:03 pm »

im fairly sure some simple mods could make those factions playable, but i doubt theyd be very interesting to play.
S'already one in the workshop. They're indeed kinda' boring to actually play.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]