Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Web trap problems  (Read 661 times)

whitecold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Web trap problems
« on: June 03, 2013, 12:25:33 am »

Hello, I'm trying to get some tame webbers shoot at a goblin to web some traps. The big problem is now they seem utterly uninterested in doing so. I used web turrets out of the masterwork mod and a goblin thief in the following setup
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
when I open the two doors D nothing happens, I tried removing one and placing the turret closer but to no effect. To get them to web somehow, I placed a web turret on the shooting gallery of my fighting pit, and dumped another goblin into it. Now one z-level above the goblin, the turret started to web, but instead of dropping down, the webs stayed in place, hanging mid air over the pit. Can anyone help me what is going on?

BastiBasti

• Bay Watcher
  • ‼SCIENCE‼
    • View Profile
Re: Web trap problems
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 12:58:36 am »

I think webs are static objects. I'm no expert in masterwork (please include the fact it's a mod in the title, I though you were referring to giant cave spiders) but I doubt it will shoot in an arch but I may be wrong. Also from my knowledge of fortifications you need to be adjacent to be able to shoot through them. Try replacing the fortification near the turret with a drop or have one between the fortification and the goblin, but as I said I'm no expert in this field.
Code: [Select]
xxxxxxxxxx
DFg▒▒▒▒▒Ft
xxxxxxxxxx
or
xxxxxxxxx
DFg▒▒▒▒▒t
xxxxxxxxx

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 01:14:13 am »

I think webs are static objects. I'm no expert in masterwork (please include the fact it's a mod in the title, I though you were referring to giant cave spiders) but I doubt it will shoot in an arch but I may be wrong. Also from my knowledge of fortifications you need to be adjacent to be able to shoot through them. Try replacing the fortification near the turret with a drop or have one between the fortification and the goblin, but as I said I'm no expert in this field.
xxxxxxxxxx
DFg▒▒▒▒▒Ft
xxxxxxxxxx
or
xxxxxxxxx
DFg▒▒▒▒▒t
xxxxxxxxx
Webs are breath attacks, not ranged attacks, which ignore the fortifications rule.  You can pass them through fortifications at any distance.  The thing about breath attacks is that they can leave stuff behind.  The webs that are left are tile elements, not items, and are not subject to gravity.  So yes, they regularly float in place.

Aside from that, tame creatures are notorious about their webbing attitudes.  Dwarf up and get a Giant Cave Spider.  If those have been modded out, then we know what your problem is.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3866
There's also this.  The trick for web traps in .19 was that the creature needed a path before it would start webbing, so Y path with hatches and pressure plates became essential for making a web farm.  I want to say breath attacks were changed, and don't need path, but this is what I've always worked with.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 04:14:03 am »

Aside from that, tame creatures are notorious about their webbing attitudes.  Dwarf up and get a Giant Cave Spider.  If those have been modded out, then we know what your problem is.

The trick for web traps in .19 was that the creature needed a path before it would start webbing, so Y path with hatches and pressure plates became essential for making a web farm.  I want to say breath attacks were changed, and don't need path, but this is what I've always worked with.

@OP: ignore this, GCS is not modded out, and the webbers are happy to spit webs at enemies without a valid path. (MW 2.h)

I have no experience with web-turrets, so I don't know if they behave any different then regular webbers. I'd think not...
My web defence uses forest spiders on the same Z level as the invaders. They are stationed behind a fortification, a raising bridge and a 1 tile wide pit. The bridges are there so I can switch the spiders "off" when needed. The spiders are walled in, so no path exists to them, and the invaders must walk the (T)raps.

WWWWW.T.
WSFBB.T.
WWWWW.T.
WSFBB.T.
WWWWW.T.
WSFBB.T.
WWWWW.T.

W=wall, F=fortification, B=raising bridge, S=spider, T=weapon traps, .=pit

It works OK, but I don't recommend this, except maybe with cage traps. I lost too many dwarves during post-siege cleanup due to webs stuck on the weapon traps.

also: Questions like this should go to the masterworks subforum.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 07:49:28 am »

I used web turrets out of the masterwork mod

heh, nope.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku