Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Cave moss at embark, but no cavern.  (Read 2384 times)

Kumis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cave moss at embark, but no cavern.
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2013, 11:41:47 am »

According to what I've read, If you've found a cavern in a previous fort then you can have moss grow in another fort because the cavern connects the two forts. Unfortunately you can't travel to the old fort in Dwarf Mode.
Moss will always grow once you uncovered it in fortress mode. There seems to be one flag "have moss" per world.

I don't know if I believe that. Unless I remember incorrectly my other (intermediate) forts in the same world didn't have moss grow.
It's only this one, and so it's probably either the same civilisation, the same cavern system or both.

Do you have a source?
Dodók Medtobór,
What are you trying to hunt?
Y u no find path?

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2013, 04:44:23 pm »

It's from having breached a cave in a different fort. I've got no idea if being the same civ matters. I do know that it is not a world-wide effect, but is bigger than just one biome. I'd suspect it's either per-region or per-16x16 embark squares.
Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around

Exitstrategy

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no exit! Oh, Armok! The !!magma!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2013, 04:52:15 pm »

"Once an underground cavern has been discovered, shrubs and trees will spontaneously grow on any subterranean soil or muddied rock on every embark site that accesses the cavern. This means that if you find a cavern in one embark site and embark in another site accessing the same cavern, plants will start growing there even before you discover the branch of the cavern that lies under the site. This allows you to construct underground tree farms and avoid sending dwarves to the surface to harvest wood, or just to get wood in environments without above-ground forests."

-Taken from Benefits section of the wiki page here
Since when has Dwarf Fortress been about doing things the easy way?

I do believe that it is in part about unnecessarily abusing the opportunities that are presented to you.

Kumis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2013, 08:36:32 am »

That'd be it then. Cheers!
Dodók Medtobór,
What are you trying to hunt?
Y u no find path?

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2013, 09:35:08 am »

Theoretically, it's even possible to have underground flora & knowledge of magma furnaces in the first fort you start in a world, and well before breaching the caverns. This is because some caverns are generated with caves already connecting them with the surface, so they're growing floor fungus from worldgen on. And if you embark atop a cavern that has one of these caves (even if the cave itself is not on your embark), then that cavern is considered "breached," and you get cave trees.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.
Pages: 1 [2]