Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Artifact Bow, does wielder need a separate squad?  (Read 744 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Artifact Bow, does wielder need a separate squad?
« on: May 29, 2013, 01:22:42 am »

I get plenty of arrows from trade and goblinite, so I'm tempted to use my first foreign weapon.  Will the squad know to take the right ammo for their weapons if their leader has arrows allocated along with their bolts?  Or is this just asking for all kinds of trouble, with mixed bolts and arrows in the squad's quivers?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 01:24:27 am by VerdantSF »

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Artifact Bow, does wielder need a separate squad?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 02:10:03 am »

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=1374

0001374: If squad is assigned multiple ammo types, dwarves with "individual choice ranged" carry wrong ammo, and other ammo bugs

Maybe try without individual choice.  Good luck!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 02:11:34 am »

In my experience, you need a bow-only squad, with only arrows assigned via the ammunition menu. Mixed-weapon crews regularly screw up; bowdwarfs will happily stuff bolts in their quivers and use their bows for bashing.

Geldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 07:09:54 am »

Hey, this made me think about how quivers are assigned to marksmen. One quiver per head, or one per crossbow? What happens, if you equip a marxdorf with a crossbow and a bow? Could we make our marksmen to run out ammo twice as slow? (Or equipping two crossbows at a time?)

Sorry for rushing you with these questions.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 07:58:05 am »

You can change the amount of ammo they carry under (m)ilitary (f)ammunition.  I've had my xdwarfs carrying 100 bolts each in one quiver.

Remember that metal bolts weight quite a bit.  Give them too many bolts and they'll slow down.

Seanp888

• Bay Watcher
  • Just some guy *shrug*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 08:45:23 am »

Remember that metal bolts weight quite a bit.  Give them too many bolts and they'll slow down.
also , neat thing with the update in progress, when it comes to attacking, it should be now that the weight won't affect how fast they shoot, just how fast they move, so having them carry lots of bolts is good for if they are on battlements or something.
\  I don't imagine them marching out there in a column and facing the enemy in a phalanx and using traditional footwork and precise blows to disable their target.  I figure they chug six beers, strap up and roll out with the intention of making something vomit.\