Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Outside the fortress  (Read 424 times)

Apollo Densin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Outside the fortress
« on: May 26, 2013, 03:43:49 am »

Does the world around you still progress like get in wars and new settlements get founded? I have been looking through my legends view of one of my worlds and would like to see some of these nations finish/ continue these wars they are having. For instance the last dark fortress of a goblin civ is slowly getting eaten away by constant depletion of troops attacking me and the troops of the greater dwarven Civ
"Man I just survived an attack by 90 goblins with no loses. I feel so unsafe, time to build more defenses." My typical response to this game

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Outside the fortress
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 03:57:01 am »

The world makes no real progress outside your embark location, currently.  This is intended to change in a major update soon.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Apollo Densin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 04:14:40 am »

dang alright then well i know that i am definitely keeping this world saved for when that happens. My civ is starting to get a ton of goblins so this could be interesting later on
"Man I just survived an attack by 90 goblins with no loses. I feel so unsafe, time to build more defenses." My typical response to this game

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 04:24:40 am »

dang alright then well i know that i am definitely keeping this world saved for when that happens. My civ is starting to get a ton of goblins so this could be interesting later on

Unfortunately, major releases like the upcoming one also come with no backwards compatibility. I know, it sucks :(

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 10:46:54 am »

I'm not sure if it's count, but I have image of outpost liaison being appointed mid-game. And I haven't lost a single one liaison.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 11:53:15 am »

it's a different one almost every time and it's something that happened in relation to your fort. He's in fact only appointed the moment he arrived at your fort, before that nothing was happening. And there is no reason why you can't have engravings of stuff like that
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Apollo Densin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 11:57:45 am »

Unfortunately, major releases like the upcoming one also come with no backwards compatibility. I know, it sucks :(

Can world gen codes still be used from release to release? If so how do you find/use them?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 12:01:16 pm »

I don't think world gen seeds will work like you want between major versions and possibly even minor versions.  Any change to the worldgen code (to which there is surely a lot in the coming version) would cause wildly different results with the same seed unless it was coded very specially.
Through pain, I find wisdom.