Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Migrant birthdates  (Read 588 times)

BerenErchamion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Migrant birthdates
« on: May 31, 2013, 01:25:20 pm »

I thought it would be fun to keep track of my dwarves' "houses" and lineages, so I started up a database in my genealogy program for my current fort and entered the vital stats for all my dwarves into it.

One thing I noticed was that all the migrants were born on 1 Granite.  So I figure, OK, Young Mister Adams just didn't get around to creating individual birth dates when it creates migrants, no big deal; if this fortress lasts for a couple of generations (ha!) then since newborn dwarves all have actual birthdates, it'll all be good.

But then in my most recent wave of migrants, I had one dwarf who was born 16 Slate.

WTF?

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Migrant birthdates
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 01:33:25 pm »

I thought it would be fun to keep track of my dwarves' "houses" and lineages, so I started up a database in my genealogy program for my current fort and entered the vital stats for all my dwarves into it.

One thing I noticed was that all the migrants were born on 1 Granite.  So I figure, OK, Young Mister Adams just didn't get around to creating individual birth dates when it creates migrants, no big deal; if this fortress lasts for a couple of generations (ha!) then since newborn dwarves all have actual birthdates, it'll all be good.

But then in my most recent wave of migrants, I had one dwarf who was born 16 Slate.

WTF?

If I had to guess, the 1st of Granite are those generated at worldgen. The other dates are for dwarves born "naturally".
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

BerenErchamion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 01:44:53 pm »

I would agree--after all, my dwarf babies all have real, unique birthdates of the day they actually popped out--but this particular migrant was born in 988, and I created a world with a 1050-year history, so I started in 1051--so this adult dwarf would also have been created at worldgen, since she was born before the game actually started, no?

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 02:14:56 pm »

My next guess it that dwarves with real birthddates are Major Historical Figures, and the ones that are 1st of Granite are the basic generated units.
Could also be your next favorite vampire intrepid cavern explorer
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 09:11:39 pm »

Uh...I think he/she meant the handful of dwarves the game generates at the start of worldgen. Who then proceeded to breed normally. Migrants are always historical figures now I think.

Bludulukus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 09:17:47 pm »

An interesting project, this genealogy thing. Sadly my fortress has 100 infants, rendering this task quite mind numbing.

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 10:36:29 pm »

An interesting project, this genealogy thing. Sadly my fortress has 100 infants, rendering this task quite mind numbing.

Arrange an "Accident" for all the mothers, involving a misplanned burrow and a drawbridge.  Should make it a bit easier on yourself.  :P
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity