Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How deep are DEEP METALS?  (Read 756 times)

Tinyheavyistiny

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is wasted on the living.
    • View Profile
    • Thoughts of Magnus
How deep are DEEP METALS?
« on: May 27, 2013, 02:00:27 pm »

I know shallow metals are with in 10-20 layers of the surface, but I haven't found any metals past that point besides some native silver and gold. Is there a set depth or does it vary by region? Also besides Adamantium are there any other ores that can only be found deep down?
A large mammalian herbivore. It has long fur and curving horns. It can be found it the mountains.
Her right floating ribs are broken. Her nose is broken. her head is dented. She is gigantic and muscular. Her hair is white. her skin is pale chestnut. Her head bears a very short straight scar. Her eyes are black. Her teeth is gone

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: How deep are DEEP METALS?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 02:09:03 pm »

"Deep" metal likely just means that it isn't in the topmost stone layer. It most definitely does not refer to adamantine, since pretty much every embark location has adamantine.

[edit] Just checked disassembly, and it appears that the first 6 geo layers (most of which are generally soil) are considered "shallow" while the rest are "deep".
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 02:58:39 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 02:20:29 pm »

you might find other metals, on the other hand you found gold and silver, both metals, it's enough to qualify as deep metals, so there might not be
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

ScegfOd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 08:36:16 pm »

"Deep" metal likely just means that it isn't in the topmost stone layer. It most definitely does not refer to adamantine, since pretty much every embark location has adamantine.

[edit] Just checked disassembly, and it appears that the first 6 geo layers (most of which are generally soil) are considered "shallow" while the rest are "deep".
*claps*
I never knew that  :o
Why you kids feed troll?
We're just keeping it around so we can harvest its fur.

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 07:09:56 am »

huh, that's nice to know, i always thought deep was 20z or something like that