Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why is my queen complaining?  (Read 490 times)

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why is my queen complaining?
« on: May 25, 2013, 07:59:13 am »

My queen reports that she slept in awful bedroom and eat without dining room. Yet all her property is Royal.

Is she simply moody because she can't have bronze bed in her tomb?
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Why is my queen complaining?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 08:34:23 am »

1. Does she have just one Royal bedroom claimed? (I'm not sure if the Nobles screen will list multiple bedrooms; you might have to use the R menu to look at the room list.)
2. What's your throne room / dining room setup? Dwarves are a bit stupid about tables and chairs and will happily sit in their office chairs / thrones eating a roast while getting unhappy about not having a table to eat off.
3. Are there any engravings of vermin the queen dislikes?

Unmet demands can cause a small drop in mood, but if all her other stuff is up to scratch then it isn't significant. She'll forget the demand eventually.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 08:42:53 am »

1. No, I believe she does not. I checked R-list, and she also has exactly right amount of furniture, just like I built.
2. So I shouldn't put table in Throne room? Wiki said I should.
3. I don't know. Is it possible to verify?

Anyway, it's recent development, she was happy at worst just a year ago. She does seem to suffer at clothing department, though, maybe that's the reason.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 11:10:42 am »

bigger question. why have you not killed her yet?

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 11:16:55 am »

bigger question. why have you not killed her yet?
It's sort of like role-playing for me to preserve and nurture nobility.

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 01:06:29 pm »

She must be cold. Have you installed a heating system :) ?
Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 03:35:29 pm »

if she was too far away from her own bedroom, she might have slept somewhere else, similar with the dining thing, possibly
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 06:20:40 pm »

2. So I shouldn't put table in Throne room? Wiki said I should.
3. I don't know. Is it possible to verify?

Anyway, it's recent development, she was happy at worst just a year ago. She does seem to suffer at clothing department, though, maybe that's the reason.
You should put a table in the throne room, because dwarves will eat there even if there isn't a table.

You can check the engravings by showing them, if they aren't already (d, v, select the engraved area. This toggles the engravings between a wall tile and the engraving itself). Most vermin are represented by a full stop / large dot in ASCII, and probably some sort of scrubby scribble in a graphical tileset. Check to see which one your queen loathes first -- she may hate a vermin represented by a different tile, or no vermin at all. Once you've found an appropriate engraving, k over it and press Enter.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 02:45:18 am »

Doesn't the actual unhappiness require being confronted with the creature in the flesh ("accosted by terrible vermin"/"saw a detested creature in a cage")? I'm not aware of a "saw an image of a detested creature lately" feeling.

I heard it said that depictions of detested things lower the value of the image for the dwarf (i.e. a gold statue of a creepy crawler will be rated at 375 or whatever instead of the standard 750). This still should be largely irrelevant for overall room value - just check the dwarf's 'belongings' on the z-screen, which displays the value _they_ attribute to their rooms.

I'd go over the 'R' list again and see if either the queen or her spouse is listed as owner of a lower-quality room; dwarfs won't normally sleep in a room owned by somebody else, and afaik won't get 'insufficient room' feelings unless they sleep in a room that's actually ownable.