Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help me with modding!  (Read 751 times)

vastaghen12

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME_SUPPORT: ANY_COMPUTER:1]
    • View Profile
Help me with modding!
« on: May 25, 2013, 08:35:11 am »

I am currently working on a creature for a personal mod. This creature is supposed to have mask that protects it from damage, but is also removable by combat. The mask works as it is supposed to, but I have had problems with the layering of tissues: the game currently places this mask beneath the muscle skin and fat; and not mattering what I do, I the layering  remains the same. Also, on a more minor note it seems that i cant attach descriptions to this mask.

Here are all the relevant raws, hope  you may know how to do this:

Spoiler: creature (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: body layers (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: new body parts (click to show/hide)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: Help me with modding!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 11:29:35 am »

The only thing that I could see that is embedding your mask is:

body layers/[BP_RELATION:BY_CATEGORY:MASK:AROUND:BY_CATEGORY:SKULL:100]

try HEAD why? because the SKULL is internal to the HEAD so the mask is like "I'm on the front, then I'm around the skull" (not sure if its around the front of the skull) and since the skull is internal you have to go through the heads tissues to reach the mask then the skull

curious why the creautres eyes are naturally blind and the mask lets them see.

Also what is your errorlog for the mask descriptor? if there is any? you could try [SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:MASK:ALL] (takes from any bodypart in the category of MASK then colors all the tissues, and in this case it's just 1 tissue MASK made from silver.)

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 11:49:37 am »

Are you planning for the mask to actually come off from a hit? Adding [SOCKET] to the mask's bodypart definition could do that.

vastaghen12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 03:47:06 pm »

Thanks for the response Hugo, however it seems that if you replace SKULL with HEAD, the mask will stop offering protection to the skull and brain, which I find kind of strange really.

The errorlog dispays this single error:

*** Error(s) found in the file "raw/objects/creature_ferelon.txt"
FERELON Color Mod Ending With (WHITE,1) Was Not Used

If I replace the Color WHITE, the errorlog will display the same error with watever color I chose instead.

And to satiate your curiosity: The ferelon were created before the sun and  normal light existed and thus their eyes use the magical energy intristc to every object to create images of their surroundigs, instead of using light as one would expect an eye to do. Giving sight to the mask was the only way to simulate the fact that they wear it to protect their eyes from being burned by light. Shoud probably state this in the creature description.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 04:39:12 pm »

Double the Mask then, like how ribs work

[BP_RELATION:BY_CATEGORY:MASK:AROUND:BY_CATEGORY:SKULL:100]
[BP_RELATION:BY_CATEGORY:MASK:AROUND:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD:100]

surrounds both, while seems strange it should work

Also curious as if this works, I'm trying to create a creature that wears armor and I have the armor pieces AROUND the parts that it is surpose to protect but people still just bypass it and attack the limb that is armored without even touching the armor.

vastaghen12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 11:45:49 pm »

No, that didnt work, it seems that the layer position definition require actuall body parts to be stated.

However I just conceived a complicated solution involving tissues connected to removable body parts  that  may work. Will work on it tomorrow morning.

Hooray for sleep deprivation inspired ideas!