Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How deep can the first cavern be?  (Read 593 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How deep can the first cavern be?
« on: May 25, 2013, 02:29:53 pm »

The wiki says it's usually around -10/-11.  I've got 16 tunnels spread across the map that head straight down.  They're now all at -35, but no caverns yet :(.

ChuckWeiss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How deep can the first cavern be?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 02:38:29 pm »

I've had some pretty shit luck with caverns before; I embarked in a place with a really high elevation (thinking it'd give me a ton of cavern to use) and didn't find a layer until -80 or so. That's relative to the surface of course, not absolute coordinates.

How far out have you been branching laterally? Oftentimes the cavern will span 20 or so z's, but it'll only cover about a 16th of the embark per z.
When he dies for the Mountain, the Mountain will weep not tears, but Blood for the Blood God!

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 02:41:22 pm »

-80!  Wow.  I'm on a 3x3 embark and the 16 tunnels are spread all over the place.  I'll guess I'll just keep digging.  Thanks for the info!

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 06:34:39 pm »

It depends how high an elevation you settle on. Embarking on mountains can often give you a 100 zs or more before you hit cavern 1. Embark on a wetlands right near an ocean and you can hit it in 20 or less. I was mad when I hit caverns 14zs down one time, that isn't enough room for me...
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 08:50:17 pm »

Ah, that makes sense.  I embarked in a hilly area.  I just breached the top of the first cavern at -48 :).

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 09:18:45 pm »

You can also affect it via advanced world settings.  One of them is the number of layers before the first cavern can appear. 
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart