Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flux Stone World Gen  (Read 479 times)

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
Flux Stone World Gen
« on: May 23, 2013, 10:55:57 pm »

Is there a way to guarantee of generating a world with flux stone.  I went through 3 already but none of them have them.  I even tried having mineral settings to the max, but nothing. Thanks

DWC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flux Stone World Gen
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 11:03:59 pm »

Get rid of minimum volcanoes and set the volcanoism to Max=0. This way you have nothing but sedimentary layers and that greatly increases the chances of getting embark sites with flux and iron.

You could also set the other X and Y variances, like elevation higher, so more numerous and smaller subregions are generated. This way you don't get unlucky with just a few big regions.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 01:56:40 am »

Don't trust the site finder when looking for flux. It's bugged and has trouble recognising it.
Most notably when mineral occurence is set to maximum - it's quite common for the site finder to show no flux anywhere in a whole world when minerals are set to maximum. Mineral occurrence is largely irrelevant for flux anyway, because the 'minerals' are ores and gems, while the big flux deposits show up as 'layer' materials and are treated just like other 'plain' stone (gabbro, diorite, granite, shale).

Flux _really_ not occurring in a whole world is unheard of. Either just embark in an otherwise nice place and hope there's some flux around (chances are very good away from open volcanos) or use DFHack's 'prospect all' utility before embarking.

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 07:21:56 am »

pretty much what Larix said, the world always has flux somewhere, the site finder is broken though and always says no flux no matter what
if you dont feel like using dfhack prospect all to make sure first, you can embark on biome borders to increase your chances

when embarking, look in the lower right corner(i think) where you get the option to press F1 F2 and such, and aim for a lot of these
minerals and ores are distributed seperately for each biome, so borders multiply your chances of getting good stuff

i normally try to embark on four biomes if i can, that way there is usually everything i need SOMEWHERE, it does take more searching though :)

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 09:27:13 am »

I never require flux and usually find it anyway ( <3 deep marble ), but my embarks typically straddle forest/mountain biomes.

Setting volcanism Max=0 sounds a bit extreme, one downside is there won't be magma pipes extending up from the magma sea (sometimes they're useless, but recently I got one that extended up like 60 levels).
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 11:30:56 am »

well, setting the weighted range to the low side should give a world with less volcanic rock without removing it completely
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 12:17:53 pm »

Marble is a metamorphic flux stone that forms entire layers. So that's the only non-sedimentary flux source. On the plus side, metamorphic rock can show up even in higher-volcanism areas.

The dfhack prospect tool is good for checking. You can use the F-keys to select one biome from the embark region to make the results easier to read.

I have no idea how to reliably get an honest answer out of the find sites tool.

That said, I got so sick of trying to find flux, sand and fire clay with whatever other embark details I was looking for that I started world editing.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 07:38:17 pm »

I guess using prospect all would have to be an exception for cheating, I'l try lowering volcanicism also.  Thanks guys

EDIT: After checking out DF hack prospect all, I found out the embark screen blatantly lied to me saying there was no flux.  Its main layers are flux...I never knew that embark finder isn't accurate.  Thanks everyone
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 08:17:38 pm by Cheedows »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 05:36:54 am »

sorry to be 'not nice', but if you had used the forum search function for "no flux site" or something, or read the wiki page on flux (There was a bug with the site finder tool reporting false positives for Flux stone, which in v34.07 seems to have been replaced with reporting false negatives for either the presence or absence of flux stone. ) you could have known. It saves yourself time to look things up first
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.