Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Games with simulated battles?  (Read 2569 times)

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games with simulated battles?
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2013, 04:34:41 pm »

Honestly, barring the TDs there's not nearly enough stuff along these lines. We need more ogre battle-style games ;_;

Square-Enix buying Quest and the Ogre Battle IP, then sitting on them (aside from the Tactics Ogre remake) is one of the biggest travesties in gaming. Sadly, console-style strategy games are all but dead as a genre, so I don't see it coming back anytime soon :(
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2013, 04:50:19 pm »

So that's who I blame, huh.

But yeah, I don't really care if it's a console game or whatev', or what other stuff is involved. I just really want ogre battle's battle/unit system... more. On the PC. I really like that kind of hands off limited intervention kinda' thing, but I do like it involved in a wider context. Dom 3 was more enjoyable t'me than gratuitous space battles, ferex, and I'd totes consider Dom 3 a kind of mega-scale ogre battle style system fused into a risk++ game, with GSB stripping that ethos out of an interesting/contiguous context. Some kind of meet-in-the-middle would be... well, potentially glorious, anyway.

It'd just be kinda' great to hurl the little six critter groups around again, in the new millennium. OB64 totes doesn't count, it came out in '99 originally >_>

Neo-geo one might count if anyone ever translates the bloody thing grumblemumble
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Eduardo X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2013, 04:59:00 pm »

Dom3 probably does this better than most games I've played. It can be frustrating watching your well detailed plans fall apart and quickly, but seeing things go right is equally riveting.

Since the game has come out of the hands of Schrapnel Games, it's WAY cheaper now, too. No more $55 for a game released in 2004! I repurchased it on sale at Gamer's Gate a while back, and there's a push to get it on Greenlight (that will probably fail, sadly).

I thought Gratuitous Space Battles would be perfect for me, but it grew tedious pretty quickly.

Samio

• Bay Watcher
  • ˙uǝʌǝ ʇ,uop ı sıɥʇ sı ʇɐɥʍ
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2013, 05:32:52 pm »

Why hasn't anybody said Legion, yet? Not free, but definitely one of the first games of it's sort.

http://www.slitherine.com/games/legion_gold

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2013, 06:54:09 pm »

ArmA 2. How many of the bonus points do I win? :P
(It'll simulate battles that you can spectate with some creativity, and yep, it's got a free (lite) version!)
I'd say this one could keep you entertained for some time.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2013, 06:58:01 pm »

If you have a IOS or android deveice phone/tablet whatever check dungeon Village. You ARE that village in your old RPG games, upgrade your village, attract more adventurer, you can influence them, give them stuff, or simply let them live themself and let them buy their own stuff, send them on a quest ( well designate a quest and some of your advbentyurer will go to it ).

They will also fight outside your village if there is no quest set. Small, not expensive at all and lots of fun!.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.kairosoft.android.bouken_en&hl=fr
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

gp1628

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2013, 07:28:28 pm »

Dominions 3 does well. A professor of Religio/mythos was one of the developers.
The layout for the battles is that YOU are a pretender god (not a real god) trying to become a God.
So you arent actually AT the battles trying to manage every move of every unit. You can set the formations. And you can recommend very general actions of troops (stand, charge, guard commander, shoot, etc). For commander types you can give more instructions. About 5 of the 50 round combat but that works ok. Like wait/wait/wait/attack-knights or shoot/shoot/shoot retreat-to-rear. For mages and clerics that would be 5 spells then after that they choose for themselves.

So you set it up then send them in to battle. All of those are suggestions from their "god" and taken seriously but they CAN go off script (usually for a reason).

The game has you set the pre-combat instructions, then save your turn. When the turns are all collected then the host processes them. You get back your next turn to watch the battles and see how well you did and plan the next ones. In later games you can take an hour easily setting  the actions of all of your armies. That arrangement allows for games where the players are in totally different time zones turning in their turns. Or even for play by using email to send and receive turns.

It also allows for a small game (it can run from a thumbdrive) that can run on almost any computer (windows, mac, linux, really old, and laptop). And it allows the game to support maps bigger than anyone ever plays. And more nations than anyone ever plays (there are over 70 unique ones built in and hundreds more in mods)

Since this is about the battle concept, if Dominions is too much there is always their newer game "Conquest of Elysium 3". Even less management of units. But its faster, more solo play, smaller, and cheaper (Ive seen it available on steam for $2.50). And its small enough to run on a Raspberry Pi ($30 credit card sized computer)

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2013, 07:52:50 pm »

Ive been doing this sort of thing with Distant Worlds recently.  Just leave the game in full autopilot mode and let it play out itself.  Is a slower pace to watch even using time acceleration but fun to watch space empires expand and crumble over time.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2013, 08:02:36 pm »

The old 4X game Stars! is like this; while it's focus is on empire-level strategy and diplomacy, the tactical battles are handled where you give orders to your ships on how to behave, and they will act on their own following those instructions.  While it's not sold anymore, there are plenty of PBEM communities who know where to get it.

gp1628

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2013, 08:17:55 am »

I love Stars. I still pop it up once in awhile.
Also Space Empires IV (but not SE V)
Pages: 1 [2]