Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: wearing worn clothes  (Read 398 times)

Apollo Densin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
wearing worn clothes
« on: May 24, 2013, 09:33:56 am »

My dwarves are running around the fortress in incredibly worn clothing but will not wear the plethora of new cloths that i have just sitting in the stock pile. How do i get them to wear the new stuff?
"Man I just survived an attack by 90 goblins with no loses. I feel so unsafe, time to build more defenses." My typical response to this game

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: wearing worn clothes
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 10:45:41 am »

hmm, this should not be a problem, are they forbidden, or is this a burrows issue?

Apollo Densin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 10:56:21 am »

No and no. I got a ton of unhappy about worn clothes but i got a ton of brand new ones made and even goblinite clothes. I see dropped clothing around my fortress but that is usually with only a little wear. Most of my dwarves wear clothing with XX on them
"Man I just survived an attack by 90 goblins with no loses. I feel so unsafe, time to build more defenses." My typical response to this game

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 11:19:52 am »

Are the new clothes of types that actually can replace the worn types? Dwarfs can e.g. only produce trousers as lower body covering, so if they pick up and wear loincloths, they cannot be replaced by your own production and will often be worn until they fall apart. The dwarfs will _also_ wear trousers if available, though. Similarly, fresh gloves won't make them throw away their XXmittensXX.

As another possibility, are the dwarfs with tattered clothing members of the militia? If you order them to wear normal clothing items as part of their uniform or if leather items are part of the uniform, ordinary degradable clothing items will/can be picked and the military seems to have trouble exchanging those when they wear out; seems they don't take the value loss of degradation into account and also follow the basic military equipment rule of 'only exchange when something more valuable becomes available'.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 11:23:43 am »

You might have to use the DFHack "cleanowned X" command to get them to dump all those tattered clothes.  Once off, there should be a mad dash to your new clothing bins :).

Apollo Densin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 11:53:04 am »

Are the new clothes of types that actually can replace the worn types? Dwarfs can e.g. only produce trousers as lower body covering, so if they pick up and wear loincloths, they cannot be replaced by your own production and will often be worn until they fall apart. The dwarfs will _also_ wear trousers if available, though. Similarly, fresh gloves won't make them throw away their XXmittensXX.

As another possibility, are the dwarfs with tattered clothing members of the militia? If you order them to wear normal clothing items as part of their uniform or if leather items are part of the uniform, ordinary degradable clothing items will/can be picked and the military seems to have trouble exchanging those when they wear out; seems they don't take the value loss of degradation into account and also follow the basic military equipment rule of 'only exchange when something more valuable becomes available'.

I got a stockpile of almost every kind of cloths including loincloths and sandals from goblins. Also got it in either yarn cloth or leather variants. I got a thriving cloth industry atm 

My militia has been good on replacing worn clothing actually it is my regular citizens that are not changing out of worn clothes

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 01:56:16 pm »

Are you sure there aren't some weird burrow settings that block the access of civilians to the clothing pile?

Apollo Densin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 07:24:00 pm »

I am still pretty new so have not messed around with burrows really. The only one i have is a defense one to make my civs go inside the fort. The area i have them go to is no where near my clothes stockpile so there shouldn't be problems. Besides that burrow is only active during attacks. It does not explain why my kids are running around in worn clothes either.