Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Drawing a Blank, Need Practice  (Read 589 times)

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
Drawing a Blank, Need Practice
« on: May 23, 2013, 06:52:13 pm »

I've got a bit of experience as a modder. Unfortunately, I'm neither experienced enough or able to think of something to make. I'm coming to you for these ideas.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: Drawing a Blank, Need Practice
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 08:27:12 pm »

A Alien Mod, where you play as the Marines fighting off Xenomorphs.

Have some fun little things like upgrading a marine to an Exo-Suit for added firepower and natural armor.

Just my 2 cents.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 08:30:29 pm »

A Alien Mod, where you play as the Marines fighting off Xenomorphs.

Have some fun little things like upgrading a marine to an Exo-Suit for added firepower and natural armor.

Just my 2 cents.
I have absolutely no clue what any of what you just suggested is.
My tumblr.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 08:35:47 pm »

Alien Movie

Many games have been made based off not just the movies but the comics as well.

Wormsign

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 10:30:07 pm »

DUNE ftw.

The spice must flow.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 11:05:31 pm »

DUNE ftw.

The spice must flow.
My tumblr.

Dwemeral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 11:12:06 pm »

DUNE ftw.

The spice must flow.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_%28novel%29 its a science fiction novel about spice mining and superpowered freaks. The protagonist is one of the best villians to come out science fiction in a while.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 11:13:50 pm by Dwemeral »

travellersside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 06:45:22 am »

The real question is how ambitious you'd like to be.

For a small mod, you could, for example, add various syndromes to each type of booze, making things a touch more interesting and meaning that it really did matter what kinds you made. That's pretty simple and would really only take a few minutes.

For a slightly larger one, you could create a new race that can invade the fort, starting with an existing creature and either changing it, or just working with it as is. Create an appropriate entity file and go from there. There's nothing stopping you from making kea-men into a thieving civ, for example.

Alternatively, you could take a different route and create a new industry. For that you'd probably want to come up with a custom workshop or two and a list of reactions to use there. After that, you could do almost anything. Perhaps your dwarves love cheese and make different kinds out of different rocks. You could end up with some preferring blue microcline cheese, while others prefer green olivine cheese. Quite easy to do, but requires you to play around with a few more things, like fake animals.

Really though, if you can't think of anything to do, a good starting point is to just look carefully at other mods. After a while, you start to get the feeling that 'this is really nice, but I kind of wish that it was just a bit different'. Hold onto that thought, because it's the start of some kind of modding idea. I was poking through the MLP mods and liked the gem lens ideas. I didn't want to use their magic though, and I ended up creating a new creature that can be 'coloured' in order to transform into different castes, each doing different things. Superficially similar starting point, radically different result.

Have fun.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 09:19:48 am »

A Dishonored mod? Try to get whale oil working first, in the sense that it's contained in containers and can be extracted from whales, as well as being buyable from a race, and make part of the gameplay involve collecting and utilizing it in order to construct nice equipment, materials, or whatever.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.