Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Urist McBoneCarver cancels Bone carving -> No bones  (Read 1003 times)

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Urist McBoneCarver cancels Bone carving -> No bones
« on: May 23, 2013, 09:18:44 pm »

But the bones are right there. I just had Urist McBoneCarver mood and produce a fairly rubbish dogbone animal trap. Now he seems to not want to go back to work and keeps saying there's no bones to carve. I've assigned him to carving bolts from puppy bones, and there is a pile of Stray Puppy Bones but he doesn't want to use them.

Is there some sort of problem with bones being singular rather than stacks of 5?

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
Re: Urist McBoneCarver cancels Bone carving -> No bones
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 10:04:33 pm »

That's actually it. This bug is your problem: a single bone won't get used, so if all you have lying around is "Stray Puppy bone" then you can't do anything but dump them.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 11:02:42 pm »

This is pretty much the worst day of my life.

/firstworldproblems

Thanks anyway.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 10:16:12 pm »

Try remaking a refuse pile for just the bones, this might make the game redefine the piles anew and fix it.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 07:14:58 am »

The last bone in a stack is useable (a stack of 6 bones converts into 30 bolts, not 25), but it doesn't get used up and will sit around forever. The game differentiates between the relatively rare stack of one and the more common leftover one stack, putting the former in the bone / skull category of a refuse pile and the latter in the body parts category.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 10:29:25 am »

Is this also true for strange mood? Right now my dwarf is stuck in workshop and it seems bones is the only thing he could possibly lack.

UPD: Yeah, it seems to be. He finally run to grab some bones, probably after flesh got rotten away.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 10:32:16 am by Sirbug »
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 11:05:49 am »

I seem to be getting this with wool, too. My spinners will happily do their thing all day as long as they have "sheep wool[6]" to work with, but when they get down to the hundreds of "sheep wool", they just go "IDK what that is, I need some non-rotten spinnable fiber item."

And Sirbug, if your moody dwarf wants bones, don't waste time agonizing over bugs, just butcher something.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.