Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Kill the goblins, get the loot  (Read 914 times)

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kill the goblins, get the loot
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2013, 01:39:17 pm »

I'm ever in search of a perfect design that will

a) kill goblins automatically, along with creatures the bring.
b) cope with an undefined number of creatures.
c) Require little to no military intervention. I'm just as prone to inattentiveness and fatal dithering as my dwarves are.
d) preserve loot for scavanging in an accessable place
You've made this pretty easy by making C military intervention, though, haven't you? If you're willing to build a bridge across your wagon entrance, then you just raise that, stop anyone going outside with burrows, and then have an enormous one-tile-wide snaking path lined with weapon or upright spike traps going deep into the fortress. If the path is hundreds of tiles long, you're not going to have any problems with invaders getting through. For bonus points, make an enormous square room and construct the walls of the path out of raised bridges so you can open them and reclaim the loot without your dwarves having to go round the long way themselves. It's not very fancy but it gets the job done.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 01:41:49 pm by Xinael »

Loctavus

• Bay Watcher
  • British Hammerdwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Kill the goblins, get the loot
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 05:20:56 am »

XXXXXXXXX
STTTTTTTTTTS
  XXXXXXXXX

This is the current death pit setup. Two 1 tile wide pits with traps for dodging. What I ended up doing was an S shape tunnel, layered over itself with stairs. This gave me three passes over the pit without making the hole any larger.

XXXXTTTTTTTTTTTS
      STTTTTTTTTTTS
      STTTTTTTTTTTXXXXXX

That meant there was much less surface area to hit at the bottom of each shaft, and much less surface area to coat with spikes. I didn't realise spikes did damage if things landed on them. The current setup is 3 wooden spikes to a square, and I've hollowed out the gap between them at the bottom for weapon traps, to cope with survivors.

I thought glass weapon traps were no better than wood though? Or has that since changed? It's somewhat moot as I have no glass on this map, but it would be good to know for future, especially how they compare to metal weapons. I was going to make a ton of iron spikes for it eventually, but I'll import some glass instead if it's worth it.
Tea and -Elf Tallow Biscuits- anyone?
Pages: 1 [2]