Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblin Civ  (Read 489 times)

Apollo Densin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goblin Civ
« on: May 23, 2013, 11:44:28 pm »

If a goblin civilization keeps throwing men at my gates will they eventually be destroyed as a civilization? I killed their general but they still got a law giver.
"Man I just survived an attack by 90 goblins with no loses. I feel so unsafe, time to build more defenses." My typical response to this game

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin Civ
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 03:21:46 am »

it used to be 'no' because most attackers were randomly generated and not historical figure, plus no time actually passes outside the fortress, so noone will notice all the leaders are dead and they should panic
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 07:40:13 am »

The civ may run out of generals to send along the invasion forces but they will never run out of troops.

The impact you have to the world is currently limited, unless your world was on the verge to change its era.

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 08:34:38 am »

it used to be 'no' because most attackers were randomly generated and not historical figure, plus no time actually passes outside the fortress, so noone will notice all the leaders are dead and they should panic

wait, used to be?
isnt it like that now?

and it feels like you forgot a part of what you intended to say

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 11:33:56 am »

you're right  :D
edited;

it used to be 'no' as far as I know etc etc, but with more historical figures in sieges as well as migrants they might run out at some point
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 12:50:31 pm »

It's possible, though it depends on how world population interacts with site population.  My medium-sized world has a total of 64,424 goblins according to Legends Mode.  The actual goblin civ I'm at war with, The Evils of Spray, has the following:

757 Goblins
42 Dwarves
27 Humans
22 Goblin Outcasts
14 Dwarf Prisoners
10 Elves
6 Human Prisoners
1 Elf Prisoners

I assume outcasts and prisoners are not combatants, so that's a total of 826 foes. They send big raiding parties once every 2 years.  I usually kill 20 before the rest scatter, so with an average of 10 a year, that's 83 years before the Evils of Spray is depleted.  At that point, I have no idea what the game does.  Do more world pop goblins replenish their ranks?  Does it select the next closest goblin civ?  My current fort is 20 years old, which is my oldest one by far.  The 100+ year forts I know of turned off invaders long ago to work on megaprojects, though there might be some succession forts that have destroyed an enemy civ.

**Edit**

I just checked my Legends file, approx. 2 years after the last one.  Goblin population world population has GROWN by 31.  I was not expecting that at all.  I doubled checked to make sure I didn't switch my legends files.  The site pop for the Evils of Spray hasn't changed at all, though they lost around 20 goblins recently.

Civilized World Population, c. 269

152963 Dwarves
   125628 Humans
   143501 Elves
   64424 Goblins
   2615 Kobolds

Total: 489131

Civilized World Population, c. 271

152996 Dwarves
   125656 Humans
   143512 Elves
   64455 Goblins
   2614 Kobolds

Total: 489233
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 02:30:21 pm by VerdantSF »

Apollo Densin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 07:27:34 pm »

It's possible, though it depends on how world population interacts with site population.  My medium-sized world has a total of 64,424 goblins according to Legends Mode.  The actual goblin civ I'm at war with, The Evils of Spray, has the following:

757 Goblins
42 Dwarves
27 Humans
22 Goblin Outcasts
14 Dwarf Prisoners
10 Elves
6 Human Prisoners
1 Elf Prisoners

I assume outcasts and prisoners are not combatants, so that's a total of 826 foes. They send big raiding parties once every 2 years.  I usually kill 20 before the rest scatter, so with an average of 10 a year, that's 83 years before the Evils of Spray is depleted.  At that point, I have no idea what the game does.  Do more world pop goblins replenish their ranks?  Does it select the next closest goblin civ?  My current fort is 20 years old, which is my oldest one by far.  The 100+ year forts I know of turned off invaders long ago to work on megaprojects, though there might be some succession forts that have destroyed an enemy civ.

**Edit**

I just checked my Legends file, approx. 2 years after the last one.  Goblin population world population has GROWN by 31.  I was not expecting that at all.  I doubled checked to make sure I didn't switch my legends files.  The site pop for the Evils of Spray hasn't changed at all, though they lost around 20 goblins recently.

Civilized World Population, c. 269

152963 Dwarves
   125628 Humans
   143501 Elves
   64424 Goblins
   2615 Kobolds

Total: 489131

Civilized World Population, c. 271

152996 Dwarves
   125656 Humans
   143512 Elves
   64455 Goblins
   2614 Kobolds

Total: 489233

Could that just mean that a successful goblin civ gets bigger while the one getting killed off just slowly dies. I am basically killing the entire siege party when they attack so might be a good indicator of what is going on
"Man I just survived an attack by 90 goblins with no loses. I feel so unsafe, time to build more defenses." My typical response to this game

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 05:32:12 am »

might be that there are some randomly generated goblins. when they escape, they raise the new historic number of goblins