Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My First Cavern. How should i approach this?  (Read 608 times)

CueBunny_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
My First Cavern. How should i approach this?
« on: May 24, 2013, 01:52:34 pm »

I think im going to wait until i have a basic military before i try to enter this, is there anything i should look and look out for?
Pictures of the entire cavern -> http://imgur.com/a/G6sL7
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 01:56:03 pm by CueBunny_ »
I'm a Christian, Gamer, Tweeter, Pilot DwarfFortress Addict :3 CEO of Mobile Gaming Network®.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My First Cavern. How should i approach this?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 02:14:56 pm »

you can pretty safely explore all 3 cavern layers by exploratory digging alone.  You can also dump some cats in.  If you want to explore on foot, I would either send a few random woodcutters without too much regard for their safety.  If you want to send some militia, some raw recruits with metal weapons and at least a bit of metal armor would be the minimum.

With forgotten beasts about, you need to either reseal the cavern immediately via drawbridge or wall, or have other military squads ready to go.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

CueBunny_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 02:42:10 pm »

you can pretty safely explore all 3 cavern layers by exploratory digging alone.  You can also dump some cats in.  If you want to explore on foot, I would either send a few random woodcutters without too much regard for their safety.  If you want to send some militia, some raw recruits with metal weapons and at least a bit of metal armor would be the minimum.

With forgotten beasts about, you need to either reseal the cavern immediately via drawbridge or wall, or have other military squads ready to go.
I see :) thank you very much, im training up my military right now
I'm a Christian, Gamer, Tweeter, Pilot DwarfFortress Addict :3 CEO of Mobile Gaming Network®.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 02:47:49 pm »

Good luck!  And get plenty of cage traps ready.  There are some amazing beasts down there, especially in caverns 2 & 3, that are war trainable :D.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 04:44:56 pm »

First thing: Wall up the breach.  If you breached it from above with an up-down stair, just build an up-stair on that tile (this builds a floor so flying monsters won't be able to come into your stairway.

Second thing:  Dig a stair or hallway to a level where you can access the cavern floor horizontally, and ideally have some room to fit in an entrance hallway, drawbridge, cage traps.  Dig the entrance hallway (except for the last tile), hook up the bridge, load the traps, etc.

Third thing: Set standing orders so that the dwarves do NOT auto-collect webs.  Unless you want them all charging blindly into the cavern as soon as it's opened.

Fourth thing:  Mine out the last tile.  Be ready to close the drawbridge if necessary.

Fifth thing:  Up to you, now.  Often I'll have the militia explore the caverns by issuing station orders where I want them to go.  Meanwhile my peasants will be chopping trees and gathering plants near the entrance.  Keep an eye on the (u)nit lists to see if any wild animals enter the map.  There aren't a lot of real dangerous ones in cavern 1, but watch out for giant cave spiders and cave crocodiles.  Stuff like crundles are good for militia practice and meat, so don't be afraid of letting your soldiers at them.  If you see an encampment of sentient animal-men, though, I'd retreat and come back with a good-sized squad and archer support.  They aren't too tough but they do have archers and killing them isn't worth taking casualties.