Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help with farm plots  (Read 522 times)

ProjectXMark1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help with farm plots
« on: May 25, 2013, 08:37:50 am »

I have been trying to get my fortress established, but I am having problems.

Essentially, my farm plots are being ravaged by flies, which kill half of the crops. Welp?

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
Re: Help with farm plots
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 09:19:20 am »

The Wiki is your friend:

"Flies are a type of above ground vermin. They are found in swarms near pools, farms with unpicked food and food stockpiles, and may cause food to rot. Since cats cannot kill flies, the best way to protect against them is to make sure food is not left outside of a container too long. Make sure you have enough barrels and bags to store your food and someone ready to pick food from farms once ready. If there's no food around outside of a container, flies will go away."

ProjectXMark1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 09:36:09 am »

[27e764f1] 2013-05-25 14:33:44: Fatal exception of type MWException
~Error I get.

Also, I'm having trouble with getting barrels to my stockpiles, do they just put them there if you up the max barrel count?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 09:49:29 am by ProjectXMark1 »

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 09:43:02 am »

Hmmm, some people have trouble accessing the wiki, I don't know the reason why, it works for me. You may have luck with these addresses:

http://dfweb1.dwarffortresswiki.org/
http://dfweb2.dwarffortresswiki.org/
http://dfweb3.dwarffortresswiki.org/

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 10:29:19 am »

on barrels: as long as there are empty barrels that are not reserved for other stuff, they'll get a new one when needed, untill they have the maximum allowed for the stockpile
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 02:31:51 pm »

[27e764f1] 2013-05-25 14:33:44: Fatal exception of type MWException
~Error I get.

Also, I'm having trouble with getting barrels to my stockpiles, do they just put them there if you up the max barrel count?
I get an error like this why I try to access the wiki from my iPhone. Keep meaning to post it, thanks for the reminder :)

Also with regard to barrels - if when you first designated the stockpile, you had a type of item that can be put in barrels selected (ie if you placed it as a food stockpile rather than changing the settings) it'll already be at max barrels. Just make some barrels or pots and they'll get used when someone gets round to taking the job.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 09:03:43 pm »

Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz