Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Too many children!  (Read 6542 times)

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Too many children!
« on: February 21, 2012, 04:52:20 pm »

So I embark in a beautiful place. Two rivers meeting with a nice 7 level waterfall, with several layers of chalk (a flux stone), with clusters of magnetite with hematite veins running through them. So naturally within the first month, three of my dwarves jump in the river above the falls and get washed off and die (plus my cat). So I'm down to 4 dwarves, one of which is unhappy and following the expedition leader round to have a meeting for months instead of doing useful work. It was a relief when the first migration wave showed up, even though none of them had any decent skills. At this point I had about 10 or so dwarves and they were still overworked.

Then the second wave shows up with 12 dwarves. Yay! Or so I thought. Of the 12 dwarves, no less than 8 of them were children. Eight useless mouths to feed. And of the 4 adults, still no useful skills.

Has anyone else seen this many kids in a wave? What are they thinking back in the MountainHome? "Hey, let's send a group that's 2/3rds kids to a brand new fort. They'll be safe there."

Oh yeah, those dwarves that got washed off the falls? They are all listed as missing. One has become a ghost, but doesn't show up in the list of names for creating a memorial slab. I'm guessing that's because he's missing, not dead. Kinda sucks.

Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Die Nacht

• Bay Watcher
  • [IMMUNE_TO_SOCIAL_LIFE]
    • View Profile
Re: Too many children!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 05:01:42 pm »

So naturally within the first month, three of my dwarves jump in the river above the falls and get washed off and die (plus my cat).

That's what happens when you drink too much and there is a daring-able structure around.
'rtg593' Bemongibruk, forumite cancels megaproject: interrupted by 0.34.01.

Dantrithor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 05:09:29 pm »

Has anyone else seen this many kids in a wave? What are they thinking back in the MountainHome? "Hey, let's send a group that's 2/3rds kids to a brand new fort. They'll be safe there."

Third? inmigrant wave. 40 Inmigrants. 29 of which were children, and 1 Vampire. Inmigration waves are now huge... and have too many critters.. I mean children in them. 30% of my current fort population (above 200) is composed of children.

FaultyLogic

• Bay Watcher
  • [EDIBLE_RAW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 05:15:07 pm »

Yeah, there are a lot of kids now. Most migrant waves consist of a majority of childdwarves and the female dwarves are suddenly tremendously fertile, machinegunning out little dwarflings.
"It's unpossible!"

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 05:25:26 pm »

I have come across a relatively good solution for this issue, it involves a Child only burrow, a food stock pile, a few beds, and a vampire.

Essential make whatever type of Room you want to hold the kids(danger room, chicken fighting arena, or just a barracks), make it a burrow and assign all the dwarf kids there. Burrow or station you vamps there and behold! vamps feed on sleeping kids instead of your skilled workers.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 05:29:58 pm »

Magmabwah?

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 05:37:40 pm »

I didn't mind a lot of kids at first--I figured it was fewer bedrooms I had to assign right away--but now it's just annoying.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 05:59:03 pm »

Doesn't anyone edit the d_init file for this?  I set mine to 20:10 and it seems to be working fine.  Only had one baby so far and no child immigrants, but maybe I'm just not far enough along.

Nullnostalgia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 06:04:37 pm »

1) Burrow.
2) Children in Burrow.
3) Atom smasher.
4) Glorious child-less society. Pets too. And nobles. And cheesemakers.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 06:34:50 pm »

1) Burrow.
2) Children in Burrow.
3) Atom smasher.
4) Glorious child-less society. Pets too. And nobles. And cheesemakers.
Didnt think of burrow. Now I'll burn my 70+ children in an arena i made for meeting area while their parents watch.
I only wish their morale can take it after years of hunger and death.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 06:36:39 pm by dwarfhoplite »

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 06:49:27 pm »

I did that now and I feel very guilty.

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 07:08:17 pm »

Ahahahahahaha. Thats great so you burnt them all alive with a tiny bit of lava eh?

madmenyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2013, 04:51:03 am »

I know i am reviving a old topic but i have a work around for this and since this post gets found easy i'll post it in here.

Try generating worlds of older age, i used to generate "young" worlds of maximum 50 years and even with the children cap set with a maximum of 10 children i still got flooded by child's in migration waves often. Since i am generating older worlds of 150+ years the children problem seems to have disappeared my last 5 or 6 games where all good.

I tried searching this solution and could not find it anywhere so that is why i am posting it here.

laxori666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2013, 09:43:47 am »

Haha this was such a great series of posts to read:

Quote from: dwarfhoplite
Now I'll burn my 70+ children in an arena i made for meeting area while their parents watch.
Quote from: dwarfhoplite
I did that now and I feel very guilty.

avdpos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2013, 12:36:19 pm »

Agree with that itīs irritating with a very high child-percantage.

But if you go for some realism thatīs how it should be. 30% isnīt unnormal in any way in todays societies of humans.
50% childrate wasnīt at all any unnormal in the first colonies in US either, but most of them was born in north america.

So if you go for realism, have those pretty useless childs in your fort.
the mainproblem that make us irritated on those childs may be thatīs itīs so easy to get people threw new immigrationwaves. Most of us actually would need the childs to keep the same population, if it wouldnīt be for immigration.

So for realism "To many immigrants" not "to many children"