Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do dwarfs decide on a stockpile to haul to?  (Read 335 times)

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do dwarfs decide on a stockpile to haul to?
« on: May 21, 2013, 08:14:30 pm »

Done some searching and can't find any info on this.

I have a minecart system for cleaning up the battlefield after sieges.  And it's working mostly.  But I just noticed a dwarf picking up a bin of ammo where it was dumped at the track stop then carrying it back outside to the ammo pile instead of the stockpile directly below him by 4 z

I was hoping that he would take it to the nearest one, but now I'm confused.  Does stockpile selection ignore other z levels, or is it just random?

It's fixed easy enough by making the track dump a stockpile and adding a take-from link.  But the behavior made me wonder if anyone knew the answer.

Edit: Oh yeah, I was also wondering if there was a setting to make stockpiles not auto-assign bins/barrels.  TIA!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 08:27:59 pm by kingubu »

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do dwarfs decide on a stockpile to haul to?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 03:38:18 pm »

the stockpile itself generates the job, chooses the item, and then eventually a dwarf takes it.  The item becomes tasked once the dwarf takes the job, unlike designating buildings/constructions.  And I believe that when items are tasked for jobs, z-levels are ignored (unreasonably, doing a distance calculation in 3 dimensions isn't any harder than doing it in 2).
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do dwarfs decide on a stockpile to haul to?
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 06:11:42 pm »

Thanks!  This helps.