Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Good Morning, Brand New Player Here!  (Read 1864 times)

Azerax

• Bay Watcher
  • Azerax stops posting, seeking child.
    • View Profile
Re: Good Morning, Brand New Player Here!
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2013, 08:50:01 am »

All great advice in here.  Something that I recently learned from another thread which had a huge impact is for your non-archer military, make 2 dorf squads, they'll just sit and train all day and you'll be much better prepared for the first few battles which I have always found tough.

a couple other thoughts:
Dwarf Therapist is a must, it can help prevent tantrum spirals.

give in and build 4x4 bedrooms right away and stick in a bed, armor rack, weapon rack, and a cabinent, then smooth and engrave it.  It's surprisingly easy to keep up with the demand and the dorfs will love having a bedroom like a personal palace.

One thing I didn't realize for almost a year was that for your book keeper, change his settings (same screen where you appoint him) to have the most accurate counts.

cheers,
Az

Zalym

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2013, 09:28:39 am »

joeclark77: I've started looking at his tutorials, and will indeed check out therarpist.  Great info on the "dig" vs. "channel" that owuld have been confusing for me!

Urist Mc Dwarf: Thank you! I'll check it out :)

Kingpin232323: Will do, thanks!

EvilBob22: *makes notes regarding varying levels of fun* thank you.

pisskop: I will try my best not to set my standards too high and look forward to any basic understanding of anything at this point, and certainly in the future, thanks!

Cobbler89: Fun and Science you say? Sounds good to me. Thanks for the comparison on making and building and constructions. and the moods of dwarves!

Ianflow: ha-ha! The people here sound amazing and have proven it.  I'll check out Therapist and look into DFHack.  I'll take a note on editing tags for later. :)

Solon64: Thanks for the kind words and welcome! I've been reading over the different forums - especially the "What is going on in your fort now" thread - some of those are a riot, I can't wait to get involved!

Chedows: I'll choose that option before I embark - I was reading about it on a tutorial earlier, thank you!!

ChuckWeiss: I am indeed leaning toward starting with ASCII, I think I want to experience the game as it was created first (much like modding anything else). However, I can see the wisdom behind using a graphic pack so I'll have one at the ready in case my brain melts a bit too much starting out.  Thank you!

Maw: "...You fear to go into those mines. The dwarves delved too greedily and too deep. You know what they awoke in the darkness..." - Saruman. thanks! :) ;)

thegoatgod_pan: Thanks! Like I said above I think I am going to start with ASCII but you may well be proven right and I might switch to a graphics pack. I'll definitely try to enjoy the journey of learning this game. I'll certainly have some fun - otherwise I'll be wasting my time. ;) thanks again!

Laurin: I'll make sure to work on a refuse pile - it was at the top of things to do on a DF flow chart I ran across. Thanks for the advice about flashing icons.

Yag Alone: Ha! I think I'll stay away from the magma for now - thanks for the welcome!

Bored Virulence: Lots of good advice on food and food production, thank you very much! I'll keep an eye on my hallway width to avoid traffic problems I assume.

Azerax: Larger Bedrooms and dorf squads - will look into figuring this out in the near future. I'll also make sure to keep an eye on the book keeper status! Thanks again.

Man the more I read, even the little I've been able to, the more excited I get to try this out as soon as I get a chance! Thanks again.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2013, 09:40:33 am »

Make all main hallways 2-3 tiles wide, or plan to expand them later.
Yes, and staircases too!  I typically use a 2x2 column of stairs as my central staircase.  Some people use 3x3 or even 4x4.
Of course, you don't necessarily have to have a central staircase... it's just a simple architectural principle that makes it a little easier for us humans to keep things straight.

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2013, 10:00:05 am »

As far as mods go I HIGHLY recommend Dwarf Therapist, along with DF Hack. Dwarf Therapist is a time saver and a god send for me, while I had trouble figuring out how to use the interface.
Also, if you desire to do any true FUN (such as Giant Beasts being brought by migrant waves), learn how to edit Tags.
If you want to find areas you can't find with the normal selection, get Legends Viewer (say you want to embark on a Kobold Cave, just for the hell of it). It is a good help for identifying where what is.
I personally don't use visualizers, I currently use a texture pack for my own ease (the ASCII was hard to grasp, and I really wanted to get into it)

In general the forum is populated by deranged, godless (other than Armok and a randomly generated god(dess) of who gives a shit), morale lacking, bacon tree farming, cruel, inhumane, deranged (needs to be said twice), nurturing, livestock dropping from 12 stories up people, who welcome you with open arms
As long as you are not an elf

12? I do 20 Z levels. it gives the blood spatter an extra emphasis :P
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 01:02:56 pm by ORCACommander »

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2013, 10:32:00 am »

Make all main hallways 2-3 tiles wide, or plan to expand them later.
Yes, and staircases too!  I typically use a 2x2 column of stairs as my central staircase.  Some people use 3x3 or even 4x4.
Of course, you don't necessarily have to have a central staircase... it's just a simple architectural principle that makes it a little easier for us humans to keep things straight.

Oh yes, stairs too!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In general the forum is populated by deranged, godless (other than Armok and a randomly generated god(dess) of who gives a shit), morale lacking, bacon tree farming, cruel, inhumane, deranged (needs to be said twice), nurturing, livestock dropping from 12 stories up people, who welcome you with open arms
As long as you are not an elf

I find that while deranged the forum may be (oh how wonderful it is), its a pretty wonderful community. I remember the Skyrim forums before it came out, that was a hostile place. Here its surprisingly peaceful, considering the topics and the nature of DF and all.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 10:35:11 am by BoredVirulence »
Pages: 1 2 [3]