Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: War animals  (Read 317 times)

Apollo Densin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
War animals
« on: May 25, 2013, 10:25:19 pm »

Is it better to have all your war animals assigned to someone or to let them wander around the fort and act as a roving defense or a mixture of both? I have several war dogs 2 war grizzlys (wish i had a breeding pair) and 3 war jaguars (these are assigned to my marksdwarves)
"Man I just survived an attack by 90 goblins with no loses. I feel so unsafe, time to build more defenses." My typical response to this game

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
Re: War animals
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 11:27:42 pm »

War trained animals will follow the dwarf that trained them, unless you assign them to a specific dwarf, - which may, or may not be the behavior your want. You can assign them to a dwarf if you want, but expect the dwarf to get unhappy thoughts when they die, like they were pets. This, can cause !trouble! (and FUN) with military dwarves.

I tend to assign them to a pasture near my entrance to spot and kill thieves/ambushes - the boring way. I'm sure you can do better.  :)

There's no "right way to do it", only preferences, there are always ups and downs to every approach.

Apollo Densin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 11:31:53 pm »

right now all i am really using them for is having them hang out in my burrow when my civs run inside so they have a little defense in case the worst happens and my traps/ military fail. Although that is just a last and desperate measure true I think imma go and put some of my dogs in a pasture by my trade depot like you suggested.
"Man I just survived an attack by 90 goblins with no loses. I feel so unsafe, time to build more defenses." My typical response to this game

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 11:46:55 pm »

I like to do like above and pen them by an entrance.  Then if battles start to go badly I assign to a dwarf and release them. Five or more war dogs showing up to a good but wounded solider has occasionally saved a life
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 03:17:51 pm »

AFAIK, assigned war animals respect burrows and alerts just like anyone else, so they won't follow the soldiers they belong to when you send them out to fight, not that they are good at fighting armed enemies (with the exception of megafanuna). On the other hand they are useful when attached to high-value civilians, they are good enough to deal with thieves and snatchers.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."