Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So, um, my name pretty much explains my situation.  (Read 453 times)

Urist MacNoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Indrick Boreale, Adventurus Astartes.
    • View Profile
So, um, my name pretty much explains my situation.
« on: May 23, 2013, 01:59:34 pm »

A filthy, sniveling, ugly, smelly, cowardly little kobold tried to steal from me while I was trading with the elves. THE NERVE. She was shot in the side by the militia commander and subsequently had a... ligament or something torn in her inferior kobold brain when the aforementioned militia commander ran up and slapped her in the head with her crossbow.

The kobold slumped to the floor, dead. I took it's iron dagger. Shiny. I took it's clothing and sold it to the elves.

Shortly afterwards I found myself in a bit of a predicament. I order my dwarves to dump the body and build a stockpile for corpses out away from my fort where her corpse can rot in peace without bothering my dwarves.

Nobody will pick it up and bring it to the stockpile or dump it as I asked. The body is leaning against my front door. It is ugly and disgusting and beginning to rot and before long there'll be a miasma on my front door and it'll go downhill from there.

How, for the might of Armok, do I get rid of it?
Coldmonkey: "The idea that having flaming tools and introducing them to the intimate workings of someone you don't get along with is much too human for these forums. I mean, it's not really that hard, is it? Anyone can wield a torch, it doesn't prove anything. Wearing flaming clothes on the other hand, or better yet, wearing nothing at all and being on fire... that is the essence of dwarfish behavior."

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So, um, my name pretty much explains my situation.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 02:03:27 pm »

Make sure the body isn't forbidden.

cdombroski

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 02:21:09 pm »

If the corpse is outside, you'll also need to adjust the standing orders (o) for refuse (r) to enable dwarfs to gather refuse from outside (o)

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 02:32:26 pm »

If it's marked for dumping, they won't take it to a stockpile. You need a garbage dump zone, which is set with "i".

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 02:53:47 pm »

I feel some general confusion about stockpiles:

The corpse stock(p)ile is for dwarves and their pets.
The refuse stock(p)ile is for invader bodies, and stuff, this is the one that you need now.
->If any of these is full it won't generate a hauling job!

And finally there is the garbage dump (i) zone that won't generate hauling jobs automatically, you need to manually designate stuff for your dwarves to dump them. If an item is set to dump, it won't be hauled to a (corpse/refuse) stockpile, but to a garbage dump - but only if there is a garbage dump anywhere on the map. When dumped, the body will be set as forbidden, so your dwarves won't touch it anymore until you unforbid it!
->A garbage dump won't get full, so 1 tile is enough.

Also: check the (o)rder menu to see if you have refuse hauling on. If the body is stuck at the entrance, then there's a chance that it is registered by the game as being outside, so you need to turn on refuse hauling from outside. Use the (k) button on the goblin corpse to see if it is inside(dark), or outside(light).

Urist MacNoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Indrick Boreale, Adventurus Astartes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 03:03:07 pm »

The kobold's body isn't forbidden and I have both a refuse stockpile and a corpse stockpile, I wasn't sure which. Corpse stockpile has refuse enabled.

The standing orders thing was probably the issue. Let me try.

Thanks for the advice.
Coldmonkey: "The idea that having flaming tools and introducing them to the intimate workings of someone you don't get along with is much too human for these forums. I mean, it's not really that hard, is it? Anyone can wield a torch, it doesn't prove anything. Wearing flaming clothes on the other hand, or better yet, wearing nothing at all and being on fire... that is the essence of dwarfish behavior."

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 03:10:05 pm »

The others already said this but: 

You said you marked it to dump.  Therefore the dwarves are going to want to take it to a garbage dump zone, not a refuse stockpile.

If you want it to go to a refuse stockpile as normal, you'll need to remove the dump designation, as well as check your standing orders.