Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Assigning stray war <blank>  (Read 284 times)

Tinyheavyistiny

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is wasted on the living.
    • View Profile
    • Thoughts of Magnus
Assigning stray war <blank>
« on: May 22, 2013, 09:12:17 am »

how do I assign stray war animals to dwarves? I really want to assign some to military and non military personnel but it says in the animal page that the dogs are trained and can not be adopted.
A large mammalian herbivore. It has long fur and curving horns. It can be found it the mountains.
Her right floating ribs are broken. Her nose is broken. her head is dented. She is gigantic and muscular. Her hair is white. her skin is pale chestnut. Her head bears a very short straight scar. Her eyes are black. Her teeth is gone

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Assigning stray war <blank>
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 10:14:31 am »

You look at the individual dwarf - 'v'iew the dwarf on the normal screen or zoom to 'c'reature from the unit list, then go to 'p'references, 'e' to assign a 'work animal'. pick one from the list.

Be aware that handling of dead assigned animals is bugged - the dwarf will consider losing such an animal as losing a pet and will become unhappy if they have to see its rotting corpse. However, since a war dog is (usually) not 'allowed' for adoption, it cannot be put in a coffin but will be thrown on the refuse pile.

Regularly smashing your refuse or compacting the pile by dumping the unrottable stuff somewhere out of sight limits the unhappiness over dead personal war dogs. Allowing them for adoption makes them buryable, but not everyone appreciates having a graveyard full of dead dogs (or cavies).

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Assigning stray war <blank>
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 03:06:06 pm »

the workaround that I don't bother with is to have the dwarf you want war-train the animal you want him to have.  Also, I suspect that seeing the dead body isn't a requirement, and that if a child/friend/pet rots anywhere that isn't a coffin, the dwarf will know about it.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku