Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I create underground pastures with out all my animals starving to death?  (Read 524 times)

Tinyheavyistiny

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is wasted on the living.
    • View Profile
    • Thoughts of Magnus

I really want to move my pasture animals underground so its easier to create a meat industry so my dwarves won't become plant eating hippies. Do I flood an area underground and wait for grass to grow?

A large mammalian herbivore. It has long fur and curving horns. It can be found it the mountains.
Her right floating ribs are broken. Her nose is broken. her head is dented. She is gigantic and muscular. Her hair is white. her skin is pale chestnut. Her head bears a very short straight scar. Her eyes are black. Her teeth is gone

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile

Breach the caverns, then any underground soil (and muddy stone, IIRC) will grow moss (and underground trees, though that might just be soil).
This is a blank sig.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone

You might have to check out more than one cavern. If a cavern has no water on that specific level, it'll just have muddy floors and no plants will ever grow.

Tinyheavyistiny

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is wasted on the living.
    • View Profile
    • Thoughts of Magnus

I don't have a strong enough military to breach the caverns yet, so what animals(besides chickens) could I create an underground meat industry with?
A large mammalian herbivore. It has long fur and curving horns. It can be found it the mountains.
Her right floating ribs are broken. Her nose is broken. her head is dented. She is gigantic and muscular. Her hair is white. her skin is pale chestnut. Her head bears a very short straight scar. Her eyes are black. Her teeth is gone

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile

Pigs (decent size, no grazing), dogs (decent size, no grazing, quick reproduction), any egg layer, heck, any "carnivore", as meat eating animals are not yet implemented.
This is a blank sig.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You only have to open a cavern to get spores flying through your fortress, you can seal it right after.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't have a strong enough military to breach the caverns yet

You don't need a military for cavern breaching at all, especially if you're only doing it for the fungus spores.  It's quite unlikely you'll be immediately attacked by subterranean invaders as soon as you open a path, you've probably got plenty of time.  If you're that worried about it, dig your cavern breaching shaft from the end of a corridor that has one or more raising drawbridges set up to act as quick-construct walls, and already linked to a control lever.  If you breach and find something nasty, seal it immediately and limit your loss to a minor or two.  No big deal.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.