Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pump operator  (Read 738 times)

MoridinUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pump operator
« on: May 19, 2013, 03:56:20 am »

Just a quick question,

Does the level of exp in Pump Operating do anything?  Do more experienced operators move more water or do they tire less quickly or both?  I have an embark site with an aquifer and I'm trying to decide whether to invest in pump operator skills...

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
Re: Pump operator
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 04:02:33 am »

They tire less quickly.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 04:06:38 am »

I've cracked aquifers many times without ever putting points in pump op.

MoridinUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 04:30:10 am »

Oh cool! Any advice this is my first time and I need to go fast... I'm in an evil biome... and the aquifer is in sand, so I can't smooth walls I have to wall it!

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 04:59:08 am »

I've never seen an aquifer in the first layer of soil, so you can just dig in, make quarters in the available soil layer(s) (e.g. storeroom, farm, still, beds, dining hall), and then take your time to breach the aquifer.

Don't forget to take some stone. I like taking bituminous coal, it's only 3 points like other stone, and you can make blocks->walls from that just fine [don't forget to unforbid it in the z -> stone menu], and if you don't need it all it produces a nice fuel supply to kick start the metal industry.

Also make sure to get at least 2 wood down before you lock the door, as you need to construct a pipe section and corkscrew. You might want to bring some extra wood to make some beds and tables+chairs to avoid too many unhappy thoughts while you are breaching the aquifer.

Make sure you have an experienced mason, and learn to love unsuspending suspended construction jobs...

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 05:01:20 am »

I just use the two slit method from the wiki.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Double-slit_method

Took me a few tries and some drowned/trapped dwarfs to get the hang of it.

Recently I changed to only use ramps in my forts and I'm trying to figure out how to pierce the aquifer with ramps.  I'm starting to think it may not be possible.

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 06:35:44 am »

After you breach the aquifier with the double slit method you have a 4x2 walled off hole which you can change to ramps, no?

Also, I guess that the double slit method works just as well with 3-wide slits, giving you a 4x3 area which is enough to create a wagon-sized ramp going down 4 levels of aquifer..

MoridinUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 08:11:07 am »

I don't think you can use the double slit in non stone layers?  I can't smooth sand! hmm...

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 02:30:13 pm »

Read the linked wiki page - that has a walk-through example of double slit using constructed walls.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 05:54:12 pm »

Yeah, it's trickier than smoothing, but you can do it. I ended up using two double slits and more than just one pump, but it can be done.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 11:05:49 pm »

pump operator is for attribute training and for when you want to do a lot of pumping, indefinitely.  The tasks for which pump operator is useful, players will tend to elect to just use powered mechanisms instead.  Discreet things like filling a small cistern or putting a smallish hole in an aquifer don't need pump operator so much.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku