Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Armor equipping conundrum  (Read 515 times)

higgypig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Armor equipping conundrum
« on: May 20, 2013, 01:18:30 am »

Hello fellow Bay-watchers. I pose the question, how on Earth does the armor equipping system work? I have created full suits of Iron armor for my suicidal melee dwarves but they only equip the chain mail.The wiki is kinda vague and if there is a TLDR way to explain it,even better.

Halceon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:vile machinations]
    • View Profile
Re: Armor equipping conundrum
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 01:39:39 am »

tl;dr

Wonkily and chaotically.
I'm looking for your fort, maybe. Find out - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=124606.0
ág sôd onol nekik
edir thol, kor egar
    berdan kälán
    alod kodor
absam abal aroth limul

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 03:49:37 am »

Pretty much. Your best bet is to set the uniform to replace clothing, and only use exact matches. That way whoever is assigned the uniform is forced to equip the right armor.

The dwarves should strip naked, rush the armor stockpile or forge, and equip what they need

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 05:54:40 pm »

Pretty much. Your best bet is to set the uniform to replace clothing, and only use exact matches. That way whoever is assigned the uniform is forced to equip the right armor.

The dwarves should strip naked, rush the armor stockpile or forge, and equip what they need

This.

The reason they are only equipping the chainmail is, most likely, that the rest of their outfit is already "full." This page has a tl;dr breakdown of how the game determines what and how much armor/clothing a dwarf can equip, and why. Read up and understand; that will solve most equipment issues you'll ever run into.

I'll save you a little time and address the two main issues here: size/layering and [SHAPED] pieces.

1. Any given body part can only equip a certain amount of apparel, and that amount is also affected by what specific types of clothing are chosen. Just like real life, a DF character can only equip so many shirts, and fewer coats. The dwarven standard outfit (in a vanilla game) includes plenty of space for armor, so that is likely not your problem, but possible. This thread includes some exposition about that specific issue.

2. Any given body part can only equip one [SHAPED] item at a time. High and Low Boots, Greaves and Leggings, Breastplates and Leather Armor, Gauntlets, Helms and Caps are all shaped, including cloth or leather items. This means that if your soldiers are wearing cloth caps, they won't equip a helm unless you set the uniform to "Replace Clothing."

Setting them to Replace Armor will force them to equip only the items they have been assigned through their uniform. They won't include anything else, so make sure you have at least footwear, legwear and something for the torso or they'll get bad thoughts for lacking those clothing items. Or just assign them cloth shoes or whatever until you finish those parts of the uniform.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 09:15:04 pm »

Is it advisable to assign all equipment?

Like to the individual pieces?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 09:31:05 pm by Porpoisepower »
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 10:13:55 pm »

Is it advisable to assign all equipment?

Like to the individual pieces?

If you don't mind the extra work of assigning everything, and then assigning everything again when you want to upgrade, then yes it is advisable, because it is the most reliable way to make sure each soldier gets what you want them to have.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.