Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flat embark with a volcano  (Read 1778 times)

bananabandit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Flat embark with a volcano
« on: May 21, 2013, 10:14:26 am »

Hi all

Just wanted to ask if anyone had managed to get a flat embark with a volcano that isn't flat and also is not embedded in a mountain?

I'd really like to drain it and build my fortress inside the magma tube.

However, I've only ever managed a flat volcano or one that is in the middle of a mountain that takes up half of the embark. What I'd really like is a one tile thick wall surrounding the magma all the way up to the top from the surface. Any tips would be great!

Thanks in advance you guys are great.
Bro: Hey, what game you playin'
Me: Dorf Ortress
Bro: *Looks over* Seems hard. So what's happening?
Me: Well, I'm cleaning up the hospital after a massacre.
Bro: So what happened? Goblins? Trolls? Dragon?
Me: A child went insane because he couldn't endure the stench of his mother's rotting corpse anymore and decided to use a pair of platinum, diamond-encrusted pants to beat everyone in the sick ward to death.
-MrHappyface

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flat embark with a volcano
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 03:34:43 pm »

Well, you could always... chop down the mountain.
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 03:38:06 pm »

Well, you could always... chop down the mountain.

That would be the dorfiest way, for sure.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 03:50:15 pm »

This is actually my preferred embark type.

I have such an embark I am currently building on. Maybe later I will extract worldgen parameters.

IIRC, it was a "bazillions of rejections, press t to continue forever, forget about having problems" worldgen.

It has a volcano spire standing spindly and silly out in the middle of a big flat pasture, with a river source nearby.  Lots of wood, lush vegitation.

(Rule of thumb: set min/max elevation to only be 100 different, turn volcanism up, turn min volcano number up to 50, reduce worldgen time to 100 years on the spinner. Accept rejection spam of doom. Eventually it will puke out a world with naked volcanoes standing around in weird places.)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 03:53:45 pm by wierd »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 05:44:05 pm »

Ok, I have a world that seems repeatable that has a perfectly flat area (that is really boring), with a volcano on it, in embark distance of a stream.

I will update in a bit with screenshots, and world cookbook data and instructions. (Be sure to follow them. This world gen data makes DF very unhappy, so doing it wrong will not gen the same world.)

Ok, here's the worldgen data.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It will make 2851 rejects, but first will complain about volcanism. Press "t", then about elevation, press "c".  It should then generate the world out to 500 years.

There is ONE site that meets your desired criteria. It is actually quite boring. Has everything you need for a booming glass industry.

Here are the screencaps from the embark screen, and a cap of prospector.

Spoiler: lots of images! (click to show/hide)

As you can see, the entire area is flat as a pancake, except for the volcano itself.
Prospector says this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Note that there is a nearby stream, which means fishing opportunities, as well as easy obsidian manufacture.

*edit #2

I just did a test embark at the site. It is surrounded by a thick (6 to 7 tiles) rind of red sand. Essentially, a gaint sand dune, filled with magma, standing out in the middle of an equitorial savannah, minding its own business.

The site has ropereeds if your embark encompasses part of the stream, so clothing and bags should be a sinch. Also, sand digs easily. If you wanted to, you could spend a few seasons stripping the sand burden off.

It is very tall. 20z. Be careful releasing the magma. It is likely to start a world destroying fire on the grassland below.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 06:26:59 pm by wierd »

bananabandit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 06:16:05 am »

Ah brilliant you guys really are the best :D

I did try to chop down the mountain originally and i felt the most dorfiest dorf in the world.

Just before I moved into my new home the pile up of dead dwarfs caused by goblin marauders and insane dwarven children made everyone (who was left alive) jump into the volcano while being shot at by a magma crab!

Thank you weird for saving me this heartache in the future :D and if there is sand...I can put in huge windows and cap it with glass! How did you know I wanted that? :)

Now all I need to do is have an entrance behind a controllable waterfall of lava with my fortress being completely submerged and surrounded by lava in the tube. While also having a lava moat complete with drawbridge, and capacity to make the volcano erupt....

This is going to be a hard one :P
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 06:19:32 am by bananabandit »
Bro: Hey, what game you playin'
Me: Dorf Ortress
Bro: *Looks over* Seems hard. So what's happening?
Me: Well, I'm cleaning up the hospital after a massacre.
Bro: So what happened? Goblins? Trolls? Dragon?
Me: A child went insane because he couldn't endure the stench of his mother's rotting corpse anymore and decided to use a pair of platinum, diamond-encrusted pants to beat everyone in the sick ward to death.
-MrHappyface