Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Teeny-tiny starting seven?  (Read 743 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Teeny-tiny starting seven?
« on: May 19, 2013, 10:22:56 am »

I have a weapon whose min size is 60000 and whose 1H size is 65000. What I'd like is a couple of dwarves over that 1H size, so I can start using the weapon one-handed instead of waiting on a suitably large migrant. However, the game keeps giving me dwarves whose size is mostly in the 57-58k range, with a few dips all the way into the 40s. Very rarely do I get a dwarf who's even slightly above the 60000 dwarven average, and it's not at all uncommon for me to get dwarves who need two hands to hold a pick or axe.

I'm on probably my 20th set of dwarves, and the sizes have been measured using an older version of DT that reads the size values directly from the game.

Has anyone else gotten these starting sizes?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Teeny-tiny starting seven?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 11:47:58 am »

I've never actually checked the size of anything in game directly since I don't use Dwarf Therapist, so I don't know if anything like that is typical.  Have you checked across multiple worldgens?  It could just be that in that particular world all of the dwarves are short or thin, given how the genetic bottlenecks frequently cause dwarves to be pretty similar.

Oh, and have you checked the in game descriptions?  Does it actually say the dwarves are short, or do they have average size descriptions?
Through pain, I find wisdom.