Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Water fall into aquifer  (Read 687 times)

Bloodyharbinger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Water fall into aquifer
« on: May 18, 2013, 08:15:59 am »

So lets say that I get water pumped up and run down a channel and into an exposed aquifer. Will that overflow or be absorbed by the aquifer water?

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Water fall into aquifer
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 10:46:29 am »

Yes, aquifers can absorb infinite water as well as create it.

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 02:18:11 pm »

What about items or creatures that get swept into an aquifer? Do they disappear?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 03:03:47 pm »

no. it only absorbs water
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 09:17:22 pm »

They may have a hard time getting back out, though. A simple grate over the exposed aquifer tile will allow the water to drain and anything to path over without getting trapped / drowning.

Bloodyharbinger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 07:39:14 am »

Thanks for your help. I have a map with broken aquifer on different z-levels so i opened one up and made an internal waterfall that drained into another. Quick and easy mist generator.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 11:27:30 pm »

yes aquifers can be pretty awesome.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 02:38:56 am »

Yeah, especially the draining function is useful for internal plumbing. Draining into the edge through fortifications feels exploity and sometimes causes a backlog. It's a shame that aquifers are generally not available below your fortress.... I guess I should start using the caverns as a drain more...

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 03:59:33 am »

Yeah, especially the draining function is useful for internal plumbing. Draining into the edge through fortifications feels exploity and sometimes causes a backlog. It's a shame that aquifers are generally not available below your fortress.... I guess I should start using the caverns as a drain more...
Unless you are very careful using the caverns is a very quick way to get very large lags. Remember that the game has to do additional processing for each additional tile of water that is 6/7 or lower, so the less piping you need the better. Personally I would rather design a closed system (such as a mist generator) before I used the caverns as a drain.

If you are willing to use bridges to carry the water all of the way to the map edge then the caverns work just fine though.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 04:53:04 am »

iirc you can atom smash water too, so maybe you don't need a flow to the edge of the map
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 11:23:20 am »

iirc you can atom smash water too, so maybe you don't need a flow to the edge of the map
  you can also put doors (no delay) on a level and set it to repeat to smash water very efficiently.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku