Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: High Boots  (Read 2474 times)

BanjoSnake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
High Boots
« on: May 10, 2013, 09:12:35 pm »

Hi all, I am having an issue with military uniforms (who isn't, right?).
Specifically in this case, with dwarves only wearing one boot.

I can see how it gets started, two dwarves both have high boots assigned as part of their uniforms, an armorsmith makes a pair of boots, each dwarf who wants boots tasks to collect a piece equipment, each ending up with one of the pair.
My issue is that even after making a second pair (in fact I currently have far more pairs of boots than I have dwarves who need boots) almost all of my military dwarves are still only wearing one boot! Do I need to assign "high boot" twice as part of their uniform? They seem to manage with pairs of gauntlets. Would it be better to manually assign two specific boots instead of a generic "bronze high boot" uniform piece?
Or is that that after picking up one boot, they consider that part of the assigned uniform complete and never bother to get another?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Quote from a comment made on an article about Dwarf Fortress on ArsTechnica, by theLadyfingers:
"As someone on the autism spectrum, I feel relatively comfortable summing up this game by saying: Welcome to the Autism Spectrum."

zkenyon

• Bay Watcher
  • <SQL injection removed>
    • View Profile
Re: High Boots
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 09:35:03 pm »

each piece of equipment is treated as individual in the uniforms. so if you want your dwarves to equip a pair of boots, you need to have the uniform look for two boots.

I'm a control freak with my military usually. so typically I will manually assign each piece of armor. I recommend this, as it doesn't take too long and it's easier to do quality control.

spook54321

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 10:32:10 pm »

I can't say I have ever had this problem...I always have just one 'high boot' set and they select a pair (which is almost always mismatched)
It's the same reason why sharks don't attack lawyers, professional courtesy.

This (small) sig of mine

Victor6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 02:23:18 am »

I sounds like your military did its initial equip when some of the high-boots were not available and you're set to inactive = uniformed. You only need to assign 'high boots' once in the uniform for dwarves to look for 2 high boots.

Try changing them to a different uniform, ordering them to a location, then switch back and repeat.

If Urist Mcarmorhauler isn't sabotaging the military by stealing the armor bins they should sort themselves out.

zeziba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 02:54:10 am »

Only Elves have problems with boots!

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 11:35:39 am »

This is why I always felt handwear and foot wear ought to be managed as pairs... they're created in pairs after all... and it would make inventories cleaner. of course, things might get weird when limbs get severed.
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 01:00:04 pm »

Also check if they are equipping socks and doing something goofy like putting both socks on the same leg that won't take a boot.  The layer limits and such can make footwear act oddly at times.  My general solution is not to put socks or gloves in my standard "replace clothing" uniform sets so that nothing interferes with wearing gauntlets or boots.  (Mittens are fine since they are an "over" layer item and will go on over the gauntlets or gloves.)

The other footwear/handwear in pairs things that could use a fix is artifacts.  Singular artifact boot -- oooh, useful!   ::)
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 01:33:18 pm »

(Mittens are fine since they are an "over" layer item and will go on over the gauntlets or gloves.)
You could mod socks to be [LAYER:OVER] and it should take effect without a regen (you may need to force a Pickup Equipment job by fiddling with the uniform). For the next world you create, you could add a piece of footwear that don't create the image of dwarves emulating Superman's innerwear-on-the-outside look as only a dwarf can.

Otherwise, you need to exclude any other footwear but boots from the uniform and set it to replace clothing. If you do this you need to have armour for the feet, torso, and legs of every uniformed dwarf, otherwise they'll get mad about not having any clothing for those parts.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 06:07:36 pm »

I think there's some amount of oddness that results from customizing a uniform (m -> e -> V) vs. assigning a uniform from a template (m -> e -> U). On a fresh embark bringing only four each (two pairs) of socks, gloves, high boots and gauntlets, I assigned a pair of each to two soldiers. For the first, I used a uniform template that included a single listing of each item. For the second, I initially assigned him "no uniform" and then custom built the uniform from the View/Customize tab, again choosing one listing of each item. Thus the uniform for each one appeared as such when viewed in View/Customize:

sock
high boot
glove
gauntlet

I did all of that before ever unpausing the game. I left the military screen and unpaused; the two soldiers ran to the wagon to gather their equipment. The one I'd assigned a complete uniform to took the items in the order listed, two of each as expected. The one I'd assigned equipment to in View/Customize, however, took one of each item initially, then a second of each one with the exception of gloves (he only ever equipped on glove, even when toggled on and off of training and/or duty).

That experiment by itself doesn't really help though. Why did only gloves bug for me, and only boots for BanjoSnake? And there are almost certainly a handful of relevant factors that I didn't even consider being an issue that may invalidate any results I could have shown here.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

BanjoSnake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 05:58:41 pm »

Ok so I took socks (and mittens) out of the uniform, and re-assigned that uniform to each squad and now they are gradually getting the idea that two boots is better than one.
Really I can't imagine that socks provide much protection beyond that offered by the boots anyway so I wont bother with them in future.
Quote from a comment made on an article about Dwarf Fortress on ArsTechnica, by theLadyfingers:
"As someone on the autism spectrum, I feel relatively comfortable summing up this game by saying: Welcome to the Autism Spectrum."

Sulacsol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 02:09:16 pm »

Well, somehow my high boots got labeled a foreign equipment (dunno how, they're still in the dwarf civ's raws) so... I must conclude that high boots are just too hard.

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 04:36:20 pm »

I wonder if that happened to me... I can no longer forge them.
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 05:19:48 pm »

Some answers here.

1) high boots are listed as [COMMON] dwarf items. This means that they will almost always be able to make them, but not always unless you change the tag to [FORCED]. That tag means they will always be able to make high boots domestically. The high boots listed as foreign means that high boots "failed" the roll to be able to make them domestically, and that particular dwarf civ will never be able to make them, they will always be foreign.

2) it has been my experience that if assigning "paired" items like gloves and boots in the military acreen, if you set them to "choose any," they'll equip two and upgrade as upgrades become available. Usually. They are dwarves afterall. If you assign specific ones however, you'll need to assign two manually. Assigning two manually has never caused me any problems.

Make sure that if you assign two manually that you remove the "choose any" listing from their uniform as this will cause layering issues.

2a) assigning two manually works whether you pick precisely which two you want or if you just put two entries for (metal) glove. You need two entries though.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.