Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: injured dwarf just laying on the floor  (Read 2643 times)

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
injured dwarf just laying on the floor
« on: May 17, 2013, 07:00:04 pm »

The dwarves in my fort seem really slow to put someone in the hospital, even with some "nurses" on staff. People have been injured in combat and left to sit there while dozens of dwarves all go out and pick up random bits for stockpiles. AFter finally getting one soldier back to hospital he wasn't being diagnosed. So I did the "remove bed" trick to make them check him again. It took awhile but someone finally wandered over. After he was about half treated (cleaned and stitched) he had like 8 wounds that needed dressing and almost as many immobilization. But it wasn't happening. Doctors just wandering around with their thumb up their nose. Hospital is of course way over stocked, lots of plaster, traction benches and cloth.

So after it had been weeks, I figured I'd do the bed trick again...
now..he's just laying on the floor. Every now and then a dwarf will run up to him, but no error message and they'll run away, leaving him there. Try to reconstruct the bed where he is, they just suspend it.

anyway to fix that? He's one of my top marksdwarves.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
Re: injured dwarf just laying on the floor
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 07:25:27 am »

don't de-construct beds.  leave a few people with no jobs but recovering/feeding wounded.  also, make the doctors have no jobs but to be doctors.  they'll get to it eventually.
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 07:50:32 am »

don't de-construct beds.  leave a few people with no jobs but recovering/feeding wounded.  also, make the doctors have no jobs but to be doctors.  they'll get to it eventually.
They did it eventually. I had 4 doctors and 50 idlers. It took them 8 months to put him into a bed..and now he's wandering around, mobile.. he's had most of his wounds taken care of, but he still has like 5 parts smashed open and 2 infections..but for some reason they didn't diagnose him with needing more work. I need to get him back into the hospital. He can't do anything he's "too injured"

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 12:42:31 pm »

'Too injured' just means the dwarf tries to do something and can't, because they cannot grasp things. If the 'smashed apart' parts include arms/hands, that's the reason. You'll just have to bear the irritation until the arms mend. Infections are a more serious problem, they can eventually kill a dwarf. 'Clean self' may or may not help with that, but without a grasp, the dwarf can't hold the soap.

If there's no treatment plan, that means the hospital really can't do anything else for the dwarf - infections cannot be treated and smashed tissue will have to heal on its own. You could get them back into the hospital by hurting them again (not an exact science and likely to cause irreparable damage), but chances are the doctors still wouldn't do anything about the smashed tissue and would at best clean the infected tissue a few times.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 02:36:35 pm »

They did it eventually. I had 4 doctors and 50 idlers.
I like to enable healthcare on everyone. The upside of healthcare jobs being so low in priority is that any dwarf who has something else to do will go and do that, leaving the dwarves who are just standing around available.

Sure, untrained doctors are slow. But unless you take special steps to create healthcare jobs, you're going to have difficulty skilling up dwarves.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 07:24:19 pm »

They did it eventually. I had 4 doctors and 50 idlers.
I like to enable healthcare on everyone. The upside of healthcare jobs being so low in priority is that any dwarf who has something else to do will go and do that, leaving the dwarves who are just standing around available.

Sure, untrained doctors are slow. But unless you take special steps to create healthcare jobs, you're going to have difficulty skilling up dwarves.

Recover wounded is enabled on everyone, but it still took 8 months to put him in bed.
I also have 2-3 dwarves that only have recover wounded/feed patient and all other basic labours disabled.
to make them nurses. They also didn't put the guy in bed. But I've also seen my dwarves ignoring labour settings. I've got my guy with a bruised spine, all labours disabled (except clean) and when the trade depot requested goods for a trade, he got the bring item to depot labour, despite his hauling being turned off (hauling and haul item). Verified in game, not just dwarf therapist.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 01:13:59 pm »

In the case of 'Bring Item To Depot', 'Pen/Pasture Large Animal', 'Remove Construction', and possibly others, either all dwarves ignore labour settings or those jobs are independent of labour settings.

Being put in bed at all after eight months lying around seems odd. Did the dwarf have the Rest job for that time, or No Job?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 07:15:38 pm »

One time I checked him, he had a rest job. Now that I've installed dfhack, someone made a "tag for medical care" script for me. He ended up getting up from bed with tons of injuries, so after I tagged him several times, they finally diagnosed him again and started actually fixing him. He's back in the military, but still a little slow.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 11:00:09 pm »

if they're in a bed but don't have the "rest" job and your doctors are idle, then deconstructing the beds is a good idea.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 08:20:16 am »

usually this just takes time, but occationally(but rarely) an injured dwarf will pass out onto the bed instead of resting on it.
In this case he cant be taken TO bed because he's already in one, but he is waiting to be rescued because he was not actually MOVED to a bed.

In this case you will need to deconstruct the bed.

most of the time it is a matter of patience though