Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Well that escalated quickly  (Read 1246 times)

higgypig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Well that escalated quickly
« on: May 17, 2013, 05:30:54 pm »

Only in dwarf fortress would a MASSIVE (100 or so) force of goblins and A even more MASSIVE force of HFS invade at the same time. This is how my latest fortress fell,after my dwarves were obliterated the goblins and HFS began fighting which was funny though. Can anyone give me some tips on how to prevent HFS from destroying everything I love and my cats?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dorflord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Well that escalated quickly
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 06:38:22 pm »

Dig out a (preferably rather long) 1 tile wide hallway, filled with upright spikes linked to a lever or a repeater. Pop the cork, then switch on the repeater, or order the lever pulled on repeat. Follow this hallway with a few cave-in trap chambers (to mop up those difficult inorganic clowns), this should leave the initial invasion mostly dead. Then all you should have to worry about are those spawning at the edges of the HFS.
Best of luck :)
Those dwarves were DOOMED to murder each other horribly, because they became friends!
Unlike in My Little Pony Land, where Friendship is Magic!(tm), This is Dwarf Fortress, where Friendship is TRAGIC!(tm)

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 09:14:39 pm »

Or you can play checkers.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 10:02:14 pm »

Immediately, immediately floor over the hole leading to the Circus. If you're quick enough, you'll be able to cover it up before any Clowns get the idea to fly up. If you made an up/down stair and it's exposed to the Circus below it, build an up stair on it to replace it it so it's no longer open below.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Id Utalrisen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 12:03:55 am »

In the future, try to have your HFS mines end at a 1 block wide corridor with a Nearly Completed suspended stone wall at the end. If you breach anything, just enable masonry for everyone and unsuspend the wall, and hope there aren't too many on the other side.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 12:27:31 am »

or just