Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: !!SCIENCE!! on mechanics, casting and accidentally the whole pathfinding  (Read 5938 times)

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile

Hmm, depending on whether traders/diplomats can path through this it could potentially make just about every trap-based defense system VASTLY simpler.

If you provide one, 3-to-5-wide path for friendlies that's 3x as long as the (numerous?) paths that are set up like this, and diplomats path like dorfs (i.e. see this as impassable), you can just make the entirety of the murderpath a 1-wide 'stupid repeater' dodgeme-grinder that drops them onto cagetraps, which you can sluice the cages into a safe area using water flow. At that point the only thing left are NOSTUN (and possibly FLYING) beasties, so you make the rest of the murderpath (below the dodgeme-grinder, and leaving a path to the Great Indoors) a nice, long, plain hallway that obsidianizes-and-drops more frequently than any creature can traverse it.

It even completely nixes the 'diplomats warn their armies about traps' thing.

If you don't want caged things, you can just make the entire path past the blocker a time-clocked obsidian-based grinder - two paths, long enough to not be traversable before obsidianizing, one of which is always open. Nothing hostile survives, ever.
If you don't know, dear scaped lunatic, that would normaly be necromancy(bring the thread from the underworld) but since you said something usefull, this might not be an issue...
In a time before time, I had a name.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile

Bah, it wasn't even two full months yet. Let it slide.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile

I remember when this was first a thing. I could actually use this in my current fort, as I have access to the magma sea, a huge magma pipe that goes up to z=90, and an aquifer. And am on a horrible undead-filled slaughterfest. Having such a murderpath would vastly simplify the cleaning up of the aboveground menace, and would also serve to keep kobolds out once the zombies are gone.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread
Pages: 1 [2]