Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: marksdwarfs not shooting goblins  (Read 283 times)

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
marksdwarfs not shooting goblins
« on: May 17, 2013, 02:50:21 pm »

I made an entrance to my fortress on both sides of a deep river. The goblins have to walk across a path that serves as a firing range:

I wanted to soften up the goblins and then lower the main bridge to allow them to come to my melee force.

Now the strange thing is: my militia commander is taking shots at the goblins, but the other archers are just standing there. I checked the inventory, and some lack ammo, but at least one of them (in the screenshot) has a crossbow and a quiver with 25 copper bolts, and he refuses to fire.

Before the siege, I had the copper bolts set for both Combat and Training, and now I've disabled the training function. The squad is active in the alert and ordered to move to where they are now.

Is this some sort of bug, or do I need to do something else? Giving an order to kill a goblin also doesn't work...

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
Re: marksdwarfs not shooting goblins
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 02:57:20 pm »

Only elite marksdwarves can fire from fortifications without standing directly next to them. I usually put up a wall, leaving a space for them to stand next to the fortifications, and order them to stand on the hallway.

XXF+WXX
XXF+WXX
XXF+WXX

Where F is a fortification, + is the floor, and W is a wall.

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: marksdwarfs not shooting goblins
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 03:10:10 pm »

Aha... although the other dwarfs are standing next to 'their own' fortification, I guess the problem is the second row of fortifications. I will replace them with a bridge for the next siege. Time to send in the melee!

Thanks for the quick answer!

Edit: that wasn't too bad :) 6 goblins and a giant olm captured, all other goblins dead, no dwarf wounded. Time to lower the bridge and see if there are any stragglers.
Edit2: I lied, one archer that somehow decided to move past the rest met his maker... oh well :-). I looked at the kill stats, appartenly there was also a troll. Strange enough he didn't try (or at least succeed) to destroy the doors that kept the war animals penned up. Also interesting is that one dwarf killed 7 goblins, another 3, and the rest didn't get anything...

« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 03:21:25 pm by vanatteveldt »