Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A study of Kingdom of Loathing’s marketplace. (Abandoned.)  (Read 3639 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Data!(Also known as my 5 month long project of data entry for fun.)(Or videogame economics by a person who took one econ class.)(Whatever floats your boat.)

I won’t be going into detail on the game in this thread, but if you want to get more information, there are links at the bottom, in case you like links.

Please excuse my massive parentheses.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 12:50:22 pm by My Name is Immaterial »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A study of Kingdom of Loathing’s marketplace.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 11:56:18 pm »

Reserved for recruiting help.

One of the main reasons that I finally forced myself to post this was the fact that I will be backpacking in Point Reyes for a week, and need someone to cover for me. I don't mind losing a day, as averages can easily fill in for me, but very interesting things could happen in a week. I wanted to see if anyone could help me by logging the prices, shops, etc from August the fifth to tenth, or, if this is something that interests you, longer. (Send me a PM, and we can work something out.) If you can, please log on at around 7:30 PM PST, 10:30 PM EST, or 3:30 AM GMT, and fill out the forms below. I'll make these later. I really appreciate any help you can give me.
   Please note that you need to get to level five and complete the meat car quest for the people in your guild hall to be able to access the mall.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 12:02:06 am by My Name is Immaterial »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 11:57:10 pm »

Reserved because I understand the cool kids reserve twice.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 02:55:06 am »

I've been playing the KoL Market (more than playing the actual game) for like 9 years.  In that time I've amassed (and spent) hundreds of millions of meat.

You know there's a site that already logs market data for every item, right?

http://kol.coldfront.net/index.php/content/view/1903/146/

The above site also logs volume, which is much more useful than just base price.  At least, for someone who speculates.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 02:59:07 am by Capntastic »

Dwarvinator

• Bay Watcher
  • ...grumbles only mildly at inclement weather...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 03:22:24 am »

I played KOL a few years ago - and mucked about with the market a bit. I would pick a relatively high value item, that was well represented on the day (i.e. the market was stuffed with them) as my target and put up half a dozen or so for sale...at rock bottom prices..
Competition being what it is, other vendors would see me selling stock they weren't themselves shifting - so they would drop their prices in response. Once or twice, once the ball got rolling, this produced spectacular, though temporary, price crashes for certain commodities.
Then a matter of buying up as much stock as possible as things bottom out. After, I could still sell the items at below market value and still make a profit. They loved me on there...

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 10:59:11 pm »

The price of a Mr. A is actually rather stable, in terms of how many turns worth of farming it takes to purchase one. Using the best techniques of the day six years ago and the best techniques of today, it only takes about 3 more days, give or take a bit depending on market flux. And the trends are pretty predictable.

Also: Capntastic's link has pretty much all the records you'd want regarding the economy, doubly so if you combine it with tracking game changes on the wiki (also on that site) for why things go into flux.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A study of Kingdom of Loathing’s marketplace. (Abandoned.)
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 12:52:15 pm »

This has been abandoned. Just wanted to make it official.
If anyone wants me to put up the July data, I will.