Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Getting Rid of Ghost  (Read 3106 times)

Victor6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Getting Rid of Ghost
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2013, 10:40:52 am »

How do I get rid of the ghost before it rips someone's leg off?

If that doesn't work, DF hack has "tweak clear-ghostly" to deal with this case in particular--note that it has some bugs, such as the tile the ghost was last on being permanently marked as "occupied".

If it's a caravan guard, that's pretty much your only option (assuming the ghost has proven resistant to slabs and coffins).

lukstra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2013, 11:30:58 am »

The ghost is restless, so I guess it won't be a dwarf-killer, but it is fairly annoying. In addition, for some reason the ghost has claimed a coffin, but since there is no corpse it does nothing. I also thought that since the ghost already claimed a coffin it could not be memorialized, but after deconstructing the coffin nothing changed.

How exactly does the df-hack fix work?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 11:38:31 am by lukstra »

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2013, 02:04:51 pm »

This is a known bug: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5755

The only way I know of to get rid of them in-game is for a dwarf to go into a fell mood, and have the ghost be the nearest "dwarf." The moody dwarf will grab the ghost, drag him to a workshop and butcher it. This permanently destroys the ghost, but would be all but impossible to pull off on purpose. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=106431.0

Apart from that, dfhack's "tweak clear-ghostly" command is the only reliable way to get rid of it.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2013, 02:12:31 pm »

This is a known bug: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5755

The only way I know of to get rid of them in-game is for a dwarf to go into a fell mood, and have the ghost be the nearest "dwarf." The moody dwarf will grab the ghost, drag him to a workshop and butcher it. This permanently destroys the ghost, but would be all but impossible to pull off on purpose. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=106431.0

Apart from that, dfhack's "tweak clear-ghostly" command is the only reliable way to get rid of it.
Wait! Butchers can kill, butcher and extingsh ghosts from existence without even a knife? Thats badassery.
In a time before time, I had a name.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2013, 03:16:50 pm »

If you can indeed freezetrap ghosts to death, then I would assume that mixing magma and water in the same tile that a ghost exists on would indeed cause him to be slain, as he would be encased in obsidian.

Or if you want to go the DFhack route, then, yeah, install DFhack, load up game, pause the game and find the ghost, loo<k> at him, then type 'tweak clear-ghostly' into the console. Boom. Instant exorcism. (Though as mentioned, there are some bugs.)

Someone did also mention 'tweak makeown' as an option... I'm not sure if you can do this post-mortem, and I'm not sure if it would fix the problem of not being able to engrave slabs, but it would certainly be a sexy alternative. What the second command does is it forces DF to make the targeted unit a member of your group. When used on dwarven merchants, it makes them permanently a full-fledged member of your civilization... which theoretically would allow for slabbing. I will definitely have to test this out, because I would much prefer this over the buggier clear-ghostly.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2013, 04:28:10 pm »

*has silly memories of abusing the butchery job on previous versions of the game.

Bear in mind, this was a *LONG* time ago, and things are very different now, but waay back ther in the mists of time when dfcompanion was a viable tool still, you could change one entity type into another on the fly. If you did this to a dwarf you really didn't like, and say, turned him into a cow with df companion, you could assign butchery flag on him, then turn him back into a dwarf, and watch as a butcher dwarf would grab him, and drag him off to the butcher shop, and turn him into dwarf meat, dwarf hair, and raw dwarf skin. (Which could be made into dwarf leather!)

I now wonder if you could simply just stuff the butcher flag on a ghost, and get an amusing floorshow.

Would it make ghost meat?

*edit

Current dfhack has a "true transformation" plugin... I am gonna see what it does to ghosts. I think I have a caravan ghost in one of my forts I can do horrible experiments on.

I will laugh hard if this works.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 05:01:22 pm by wierd »

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2013, 05:00:53 pm »

I now wonder if you could simply just stuff the butcher flag on a ghost, and get an amusing floorshow.

Would it make ghost meat?
Well, in my experience, the moody dwarf made a "dwarf bone spear" out of a ghost (rather than a "dwarf ghost bone spear"). So I would imagine you'd just get dwarf meat, etc rather than ghost meat (assuming you got any meat at all)
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.
Pages: 1 [2]