Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Smelting Tetrahedrite  (Read 2143 times)

Prillis!

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Smelting Tetrahedrite
« on: May 15, 2013, 05:10:58 pm »

I am having issues melting tetrahedrite. I have charcoal, and I have a smelter. In my stockpiles I have plenty of tetrahedrite. When I tell the smelter to smelt tetrahedrite ore, I soon get a message telling me that there is nothing designated for melting, and when I use the designation menu to try and designate the materials for melting, nothing happens.

The exact message is "Iden Rutodkivish, Woodcutter cancels Melt a Metal Object: Needs melt-designated item."

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Smelting Tetrahedrite
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 05:12:42 pm »

Ah, that would be because you don't designate ores for melting.  That's only to convert items like swords back into usable metal bars.  Instead, issue a Smelt Tetrahedrite order from your manager or directly in the smelter.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 05:30:47 pm »

To add to Telgin's reply: in order for DF to know which swords to melt back down into bars, you have to mark the sword for melting first ("m" in the "k" screen or the stocks screen).  The message is telling you that nothing is currently marked.
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 12:58:41 pm »

Yeah, just look down the list of possible tasks at the workshop, and you'll find "Smelt tetrahedrite ore."