- 1 (11.1%)
do whatever
- 4 (44.4%)
what
- 0 (0%)
nope
- 1 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: What kind of forum game should I make?  (Read 571 times)

Marchosias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What kind of forum game should I make?
« on: May 19, 2013, 02:22:20 pm »

Ok to start off, I've been lurking for a while and even longer time before I made an account I've been occationally visiting the forums, I've been wanting to make a forum game for a while but have been to busy to be able to run it right; I've now got unlimited free time and am planning to run a forum game, but I cannot think of what would be best to make. As such I am asking you the forumites of b12 what you want me to make; seeing as you are civil and level-headed people I will take suggestings to such.

What kind of game?
Suggestion community hero, player controled heros, god-like, abstract, story based, open ended exploration, text only, illustrated, genre?

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of forum game should I make?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 02:42:47 pm »

The type of game really should depend on how well you can manage a system and how well you can keep track of multiple characters. Take for example that you make an rpg forum game with multiple characters at once playing. You will have to keep track of them all in according to the games mechanics or else it becomes a mess of trying to figure out what the heck just happened. Of course, that's going to happen anyways at some point but losing track  of how the system works makes it happen faster.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 03:01:34 pm »

1. Take a list of the Top 5 most popular forum games on the forums.
2. Make a list of what each of them has, as far as setting, genre, player activities, etc, goes.
3. Figure out what they have in common and keep those.
4. Avoid the other stuff on the list if possible.
5. Make a game from what you have.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 03:14:07 pm »

The best idea really is to just GO FOR IT. Thats what I did, and eventually I learned what makes a forum game great, and even started coming up with some original content myself. Look at the links in my sig for some examples of pure narrative games (which really are quite few around here. bay12'ers love them some numbers). I'd really appreciate it if you linked your first game in the OP of this thread so I can check out what you come up with.