Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: DfHack but not cheating?  (Read 2430 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DfHack but not cheating?
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2013, 04:27:15 pm »

I just read through https://github.com/peterix/dfhack/blob/0.34.11-r2/Readme.rst thinking I might try to classify them.  Difficult.  "Meta shortcuts", "Info/cheater hybrids", all kinds...

I like the "burrow" one.  Could save me time (and I wouldn't consider it cheating, merely micromanagement shortcutting... yes, "micromanagement shortcut" was one of my classifications).

So, Bugfixes.
   drybuckets (I just make more buckets)
   fixdiplomats (not a problem that needs fixing... I rarely annoyed the elves enough originally[1] anyway)
   fixmerchants (not something I'd use)
   fixveins (fixes things that you yourself broke?)
   tweak (never had problems/needs that this needed any aspect of this fix)

But so much for classifying everything.  Sod that for a game of soldiers, it's far too complex... ;)

[1] So much so that I didn't know that this had changed.  You see, I'd just build wooden walls with almost every log I got from cutting down trees that I didn't want to use straight away.  They only complained about a large number of stockpiled logs, so far as I could tell.  If I later needed more wood, and I'd deforested everywhere that was easily accessible, I just unbuilt a few of the walls.  And I still do this (not primarily to avoid Elven ire, but mostly an easy way to get an initial stockade up and running even when there isn't enough stone to make it out of...).

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2013, 02:22:34 am »

It's really a matter of personal opinion and views, as has been stated.

For me, personally, it's only "cheating" if the goal is to make something easier. If something is bugged out and acting really weird/unplayable, then I don't mind forcing a fix with DFhack or something similar.

For example, during my turn on Deathgate I, I found an issue where a goblin from a siege had been bridgeflipped onto a naked pillar. There was nothing I could do to get rid of him and mustering marksdwarves to get rid of him would have taken the better part of an hour under that period's FPS issues.

I wound up using DFHack to drop a 7/7 tile of magma on the goblin's head, causing him to evaporate and solving the issue of unending, unstoppable job cancellation spam messages caused by an utterly trapped melee goblin soldier.

I feel no guilt.

I actually had simillar occuenrence: Undead siege was thoroughly defeated, except for couple of zombies which fell down to waterfall and had no way of getting out.

I let out civillians to clean up and they got stuck - they were able to walk over bridge which was above waterfall, but they noticed zombies when they got to other side. Started to panic and where unable to run back over bridge.

Since pick up task was picked up by more and more dwarves and in one alt-tabbed minute, about 90% of fort was there.

Most solutions were not working or too slow so instead of getting my fort starve to death because they are afraid of few hamless zombies, i simply spawned some magma and got rid of zombie problem.

I was solving bug with AI. With Magma.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2013, 02:46:39 am »

wouldn't it have been easier to simply forbid whatever they were trying to get and build a new bridge somewhere away from the zombies?

anyway, fix diplomats to get the elven diplomat back is mostly for fun. I was very considerate to him (or her, so hard to tell) and almost always restricted my wood cutting activities, except one time every five years when the whole surface and three levels o tree farms were cut clear. The 3000 logs or so from that were usually enough to last me another 5 years
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 2 [3]