Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fun question  (Read 727 times)

Terff

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed...
    • View Profile
    • What is the answer to this question?
Fun question
« on: May 25, 2013, 07:49:46 pm »

Am I the only one who would go to the extent to cut down every tree in your embark area just to make elves mad?
I need some way to put armor on babies so I can start training them early.
Quote from: Lectorog on August 06, 2013, 03:57:45 pm

A goblin siege!?  Good we haven't had one in awhile, we are running out of new clothes

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Fun question
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 09:10:00 pm »

Nope.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 10:11:02 pm »

Baccar Wozat

• Bay Watcher
  • [VAMPOW]
    • View Profile
    • My Fortresses
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 10:42:46 pm »

The original idea I had was to build a massive underground tree farm that covered the entire Z-level, but when I accidentally flooded the whole thing trying to water it and trapped some miners who weren't finished, I decided the surface trees were forfeit, and decided this would be a good experiment to see if the elves got mad.

The miners were rescued when I deconstructed a wall, and eventually I got the flooding down so it could be viable, but the elves never said a thing about all the lumber lying around.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 11:32:29 pm »

Yeah, I'd do such a thing if:
1) It still affected them.
2) I didn't mind relying on "the outside"

Self sufficiency where possible. I do still use a lot of surface lumber, but my security requirements always force it to be much less industrialized than I would like.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 11:51:44 pm »

I almost always cut every tree down and then at some point say, "Take that, Lorax!"

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 01:21:19 am »

Since elves don't get angry over felled trees (and don't go out of their way to offend you either) in the current version, that's a bit of anachronistic roleplay. Their habit to cancel all trade when offered a single willow-decorated goblin helmet is quite annoying, but my standard reaction to that is simply taking away the stuff i wanted ("Oh, you say you won't be accepting anything we're trying to want to pay with this season? You _mean_ you want us to have all that stuff for free? Why thank you, how gracious of you!") and maybe lock them in the fort until they go crazy. Nothing's as fun as berserk elves.

When i clear-cut the surface, that's because i need the wood. And trees will grow back anyway. I've noticed, however, that in areas with very thick 'other' vegetation, some maintenance work can become necessary to improve the replenishment rate of trees - most re-growing vegetation will eventually be bushes, and dead bushes/saplings stick around forever and block new, healthy vegetation from growing. Clearing out shrubs via herbalism and dead vegetation by building dirt roads seems to help with the tree supply.

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 01:31:49 am »

I generally clearcut my forests to keep LOS open for marksdwarf towers, not just to burn or piss off the elves.  Besides all of those tree symbols clutter up my screen.
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 06:20:48 am »

Am I the only one who would go to the extent to cut down every tree in your embark area just to make elves mad?
I put diplomats back into my save so that there are elves who get mad, but I don't deliberately try to infuriate them. I'm just distrustful of the way some trees grow towards your Fortress.

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 06:58:00 am »

I put diplomats too. Then I clear cut the forest and dumped wood on the head of one civ. The other two are dwarves in diguise