Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: gathering plants in evil biome?  (Read 789 times)

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
gathering plants in evil biome?
« on: May 14, 2013, 02:52:56 pm »

I'd like to try cultivating sliver barbs, but each time I've tried to embark on an evil biome, the plants have all been dead to begin with, and "gather plants" is futile.  Is this the case with all evil biomes, or have I just been unlucky? (I only tried 2-3 evil embarks.)  If this is ordinary, then what's the trick?  How does one cultivate sliver barbs or find a renewable source of glumprong wood?

Malecus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: gathering plants in evil biome?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 04:09:53 pm »

It may have something to do with the evil weather in those locations (fogs that kill every living thing and such), but I seem to recall a problem in previous versions where good- and evil-aligned plants would either never exist or only show up dead.  Double-check to make sure you're using the latest version, and try a few embarks on quick worlds (smallest size, shortest time) to see if the plants are all dead each time.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 10:24:46 pm »

Evil embarks can have either living or dead vegetation. I've found dead to be more common, but you can get fields of grasses that are not only alive, but blinking and writhing.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 09:23:12 am »

I do love having livestock graze on wormy tendrils.  Cattle eat them because they're "grass" despite being made of meat.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 03:15:16 pm »

I do love having livestock graze on wormy tendrils.  Cattle eat them because they're "grass" despite being made of meat.
Or the staring eyeballs. Its not grass, it's godsdamn eyeballs. The cows just don't care. 
Old and cringe account. Disregard.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 08:47:08 pm »

Or the staring eyeballs. Its not grass, it's godsdamn eyeballs. The cows just don't care.
Staring Eyeball: *I am staring into you soul*
Cow: Mooooooo. *chomp*
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 09:51:32 am »

Staring Eyeball: *I am staring into you soul*
Cow: Mooooooo (translation: you'll have a better view from inside my stomachs). *chomp*

fixed.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku