Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Removing the dead from reclaim fortresses  (Read 492 times)

Rainbows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Removing the dead from reclaim fortresses
« on: May 12, 2013, 02:59:35 pm »

I recently had to abandon a fort during a siege. The fort population was in the 100s.
Quite a few died in the siege but when I abandoned it seems everyone was killed leaving a list of dead in  the hundreds, now when I reclaim it is impossible to entomb all the corpses before murderous ghosts pop up. Even when sending all mason expeditions to build masses of coffins they will make no dent in the ghost population.

Is there a way to remove the ghost population by editing any of the files?

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
Re: Removing the dead from reclaim fortresses
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 04:28:25 pm »

DFhack has a utility to deal with this... "tweak clear-ghostly" will un-ghost any unit selected by a cursor. Be warned that it is rather buggy--among other things, the game will treat the tile as indefinitely being occupied by a creature.

You also don't need to build coffins--have a mason build a slab, have a stone detailer/engraver go to a craftsdwarf workshop and engrave the slab with the name of a deceased, then build the slab--instant exorcism.

I've also heard that sufficiently badass dwarves can counterattack a ghost, potentially killing it. I've never actually seen it, mind you, but it's supposedly possible.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 08:26:22 pm »

can you embark with coffins or slabs, I can't recall? Not all ghosts are murderous.

Your best bet is to find the name of the murderous ghost. Embark with a slab, have it immediately engraved and installed to that ghost. You should have enough time with all dwarves having the right labours enabled to at least get rid of that one. In the mean time the other dwarves could be hauling bodies to coffins.
If other murderous ghosts wipe you out, write down the names and send another expedition with those names and repeat. You should be able to possibly make headway. might costs you a lot of dwarves though.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 02:15:37 am »

if you wouldn't mind.. zip up that save, I'd like to see if I could save it as a challenge :)

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 03:52:21 pm »

if you wouldn't mind.. zip up that save, I'd like to see if I could save it as a challenge :)

+1.  That sounds like a Fun way to get started with Reclaim expeditions.  Though maybe I should just lower my safety and morale standards a lot, and start turning my own fortresses into horrible death-smelling pits in the ground again.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.