Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to stop animals from fighting eachother?  (Read 637 times)

matskuman5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to stop animals from fighting eachother?
« on: May 09, 2013, 02:36:03 pm »

So, I have some grazers in a BIG pasture. theres tons of room for each animal.

However they seem to want to get piled up, and then they start killing eachother. ???

I've already lost two, and I really need these animals for their meat, how do I stop this?

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to stop animals from fighting eachother?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 02:44:52 pm »

If they have enough space they shouldn't attack each other. Depending on how many animals you have you might not have enough room. Also make sure that the whole area is designated as a pasture. Not really sure what else could be wrong.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 02:49:17 pm »

Grazers seem to all attempt to eat the top-leftmost grass square of the pasture they're assigned to. This means that even if you have a 50x50 pasture, all your animals that are assigned to that pasture will still be vying for the same square of grass.

I've had some success by splitting big pastures into multiple smaller pastures and assigning small numbers of animals to each one. That said, I now just butcher the vast majority of grazers in my fortresses because micromanaging pastures is not worth it IMO.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 04:05:36 pm »

Yes, put them in individual smaller pastures. They can spore each other without being in contact, so don't worry about breeding.
Old and cringe account. Disregard.

3iff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 03:17:47 am »

I've given up with grazers for now. I have cats and dogs for butchering/bones/leather/food and egg layers...now I've discovered how nest boxes work. I embarked with 3 birds and am buying up any that caravans bring. I haven't yet tried to hatch eggs.

If you persist with grazers then you will have to have multiple smaller pastures with fewer creatures in each.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 08:26:33 am »

The only reason I ever get grazers is for milk/wool or high value stuff or just because I want to (elephants!). Otherwise I keep it with dogs, cats, pigs and egg layers, plus anything I later capture on the map or buy from the elves (giant monitor lizards are surprisingly deadly as guard animals)
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 09:10:09 am »

(giant monitor lizards are surprisingly deadly as guard animals)

I dunno, I wouldn't find this surprising at all..
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 11:02:34 am »

(giant monitor lizards are surprisingly deadly as guard animals)

I dunno, I wouldn't find this surprising at all..

Me neither.  Komodo dragons can get as big as 10 feet long and 150 lbs, and they're just monitor lizards, not fantastic giant monitor lizards.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.