Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Troubles of Unrotten Raw Fish  (Read 1783 times)

6ftDwarf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Troubles of Unrotten Raw Fish
« on: May 09, 2013, 10:25:30 am »

For some reason, whenever I go to my fishery and tell it to process raw fish, my fish cleaner(s) come along and tell me they cancelled the job because there isn't any unrotten raw fish. However, unless the stocks menu lists rotten fish under raw fish and miasma has magically stopped working in my store rooms, this is false. I currently have 4 raw fish. I also noticed that the cleaner(s) prepare raw fish when I don't tell them to, on occasion, which has kept the fortress from starving. Why aren't they preparing fish when I tell them to?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Troubles of Unrotten Raw Fish
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 10:32:19 am »

the workshop could have a stockpile that is set to "give" to it.  This causes the workshop to only consider reagents from that stockpile.  Nonesensically, you cannot view what stockpile a i workshop is set to take from by viewing the workshop.  Its also possible that the 4 fish are being hauled somewhere, in which case they would be unavailable, but this wouldn't explain why you might continually get that message (eventually it would work once they're done being hauled).  I would start by fishing some more fish first.  If you still have trouble after that, it means something is making those fish or the workshop inaccessible (burrows maybe?)
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

6ftDwarf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 10:53:18 am »

Ok, thanks! Another problem I've been having is that dwarves are eating all of my plump helmets, and due to some poor labor management earlier I'm now low on drink and with little brewing material. How do I get the dwarves to stop eating my plants? I've disabled cooking in the kitchen menu, but it hasn't worked.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 11:27:52 am »

Make a stockpile f food closer to the dining room that doesn't have plump helmets in. When the dwarves decide toget food they'll go for the closer meals rather than the more distant plump helmets.
Old and cringe account. Disregard.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 11:59:01 am »

Since raw veggies give seeds, you could also farm lots and lots of plump helmets. Should give you enough to brew.

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 12:45:46 pm »

You can toggle prepared meals in stockpiles with u. I use two stockpiles in or near my dining rooms - one that allows barrels and takes booze, and one that takes no barrels and only allows prepared food. A third pile near the kitchens, stills and farms houses material I'd rather be cooked or brewed, like plump helmets, eggs, and quarry bush leaves.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 02:55:18 am »

to the first question, processing raw fish goes automatically, it's somewhere in the (o)rders menu if you want to turn it off. If it isn't processed automatically, like all food, it should keep indefinately on a food stockpile. However, if it isn't processed over a long time, something else may be wrong. In one case I had a bugged migrant do a lot of fishing, butsince he wasnt part of the fort, he just dropped it on the ground where they were forbidden...

The reason your dwarfs are stealing the plump helmets is because they are hungry. Get some chickens or turkeys and cook their eggs, buy food and animals from caravans and slaughter the animals. Send out hunters, set cage traps, tame and butcher, the whole thing. Also, start producing pig tails on some farm plots as well. Not only will you need them later on to get cloth for clothing, they also will be available for brewing whenever because they won't be eaten. If you want optional food extra, get cave wheat or sweet pods. They can be processed at a quern to sugar or flour for cooking, or used for booze, without being stolen by hungry dwarfs
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 10:59:59 am »

The easiest solution to the plump helmet problem is to simply plant more of them. It's more of a long term solution though. Dwarves will drink water if they have to so they won't die of thirst if there's any available in the meantime.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 01:51:55 pm »

not having booze will slow them down significantly though. If you have quite a number of (hungry dwarfs, it will take longer and longer for anything to be planted and any time something is harvested it is eaten, not brewed, making everything slower again, in the end not producing enough food to sustain everyone, so people will start hunting vermin, which slows stuff down -again-

I don't know what the status is for people doing nothing because of lack of booze related protests, but it might be happening already

Another problem you might have is, strange as it may sound, that everyone has farming enabled. Try setting 3 or so that have farming 5+ as full time farmers. The planting will go faster and the crops will be bigger, which is important too. One tile producing 1 crop is not efficient. 1 tile producing a stack of 2 plump helmets is a 100% increase and is easily done by those specialized farmers.

If things seem to go really bad, just hang on till the first caravan and trade whatever you can toss at them (even if it seems important, but is ultimately replaceble, you can always buy or make more) for food and booze
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.