Advanced search  

Author Topic: Justice  (Read 683 times)

LeBaiton

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Justice
« on: April 13, 2013, 01:03:13 am »

Hello everyone,

A vampire sucked someone dry before I could seal him into his permanent walled off room. When I was browsing through the justice page under the "z" key, I accidentally convicted the wrong dwarf for the murder - my expedition leader who was on top of the screen.

How can I change the convict of the murder? I can't seem to find a way to do so, and what will happen to my innocent expedition leader if I can't change it anymore?

Thanks!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Justice
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 01:15:03 am »

You could remove your sheriff / captain of the guard.  I think that will disable justice completely.  If you ever appoint them again, the punishment may be enacted anyway, however.  I'm not sure.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 05:55:58 am »

Dwarven justice at its finest :-)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 07:58:42 am »

How can I change the convict of the murder? I can't seem to find a way to do so, and what will happen to my innocent expedition leader if I can't change it anymore?
You can't - your expedition leader will get sentenced to a beating, jail time, or hammerstrikes. Next time, be more careful!

If you want to increase the chances of his survival, turn off all of your jails and he will be given a Beating (then make sure he's wearing some armor so the sheriff doesn't punch him in the face and fracture his skull); alternatively, make sure all of the jails are made from cages (i.e. no chains) to prevent him from getting hammerstrikes, though then you'll need to do some micromanagement to make sure he doesn't die of hunger/thirst.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

LeBaiton

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 01:12:37 pm »

That'll teach me ;D

I will try the above. Thanks everyone :)

gn0rt0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 09:45:48 am »

I just encountered the same thing. Got confused by the interface, convicted the wrong guy and was looking for a way to remove the punishment. I haven't even left the Justice screen. I came here and the Wiki to see what I could do before the punishment get's enforced.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 10:29:16 am »

My only suggestion is to accept this as a good reason (however many, or few, others you might have) to save-scum.  An advantage to having Seasonal Saves/Backups down in the appropriate Init file.

Although depending on when the arrival of your vampire was, when you detected them and whether or not seasons changed since you set the punishment you might not have any chance other than to turn back time before their original arrival, or similar.

(OTOH, it would solve the problem.  Perhaps slightly more 'cheatily' by your standards than merely undoing a miskeying error.  But you can surely be comforted by the fact that you may get a different problematic immigrant, during the re-run, and still have to identify and then deal with him or her...)

Anyway, it's a general option.  Whether or not it's practical in your case(s) or indeed something your personal gaming-ethics would like to let you do.

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 12:10:28 pm »

I have found that DF is much more fun (if not Fun) if you are forced to deal with the consequences of stupid actions (like digging a stair upwards into an aquifier or having the dwarf with your only pick find a fiery death in the vulcano). Unless you are in very dire straits, your fortress can generally survive a lot of problems and it will make the story much more interesting. But that is just MHO :-)

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 03:11:57 pm »

migrants will come, children will grow, a fortress of 200 doesn't really care if your favorite dwarf dies (it will if THEIR favorite dwarf dies though), usually all it means is a few unhappy thoughts and maybe slightly lower quality modifiers from the guy's replacement.

a chained dwarf can survive pretty well and even be happy in a proper jail.  Beatings and hammerstrikes are dangerous though, and cages run the risk of him not being fed.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 09:17:27 pm »

I have found that DF is much more fun (if not Fun) if you are forced to deal with the consequences of stupid actions (like digging a stair upwards into an aquifier or having the dwarf with your only pick find a fiery death in the vulcano). Unless you are in very dire straits, your fortress can generally survive a lot of problems and it will make the story much more interesting. But that is just MHO :-)

Agreed.  Just pointing out that "whoops, I've just given away my entire trading surplus" or other stupid miskeys (as opposed to coming up against Fate and losing, in some in-game manner) might be considered a viable situation to resort to what otherwise one might consider 'cheating'[1].  And this will be down to your personal philosophy.

[1] Not that you can really 'cheat' that much when you can already play legitimately with no hostiles, no temperature effects, umpteen different ways to start out with far more than you would in a vanilla game, custom reactions to give you whatever you want at virtually no cost, problematic wildlife is nerfable, Danger Room training, Vampire discovery and identification through Therapist being too literal, the existence of Dwarf Therapist, never mind some DFHack features.... etc, etc, etc...

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 06:08:36 am »

loading an earlier save is kind of cheating when it's to get a more optimal result,
i however keep regular backups because stuff keeps getting messed up

example:
things like some animal retaining their flying status after becoming someones pet, results in:
"Urist McWeaponsmith cancels retrieve pet, animal inaccessible"
..as 90% of the message log from there on.
i feel justified in "save scumming" at that point because I'm pretty sure nothing is intended to make the message log useless.
(i think this usually happens with "vermin" type pets, like tiny birds and regular bats as the main offenders)

on justice, i usually have no jails and my captain of the guard has a feather wood crossbow as part of his uniform
any serious crimes, and i will assign an "accident" manually

in my opinion any automated justice only ends up in getting useful dwarves killed for "violation of production mandate"

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2013, 02:43:49 pm »

Fastdwarf 1.

Win game.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2013, 04:39:02 pm »

heh, fastdwarf however is mostly a cheat if used with combat,

if used only to build, dig, and make items, it increases the value of your fort very fast, and can easily cause very early full sieges,
long before the possibility of a proper dwarven militia, and can actually do more harm then good

fastdwarf is a clear cheat of course, but not quite an "i win" button, as it also makes your invaders better trained and better equipped, WITHOUT giving you more migrants, or training combat skills faster
it does mess up combat balance horribly though, letting dwarves attack 10x more often then any other creature,
otherwise it would be the perfect tool for impatient people :)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2013, 05:48:05 pm »

Trapmaking is the way to win with fastdwarf.

You can mine the ore, smelt the ore, make spinning blade traps, and just fill a 20 long corridor with the stuff by the second migrant wave if thats what you want to do. This does remove all challenge from the game, but hey, cheats is fun sometimes.  :P
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0