Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Housing Value Questions  (Read 606 times)

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Housing Value Questions
« on: May 08, 2013, 01:10:17 am »

So I've made a few "successful" forts so far, and I think I've got the hang of most of the controls. But one thing that eludes me is how do dwarves determine room value? One time I had a tantrum spiral apparently because I gave everyone giant rooms and pissed off my Captain of the Guard (Who was also Military Commander) because his room was ONLY 15x15 and fully engraved. But on a current fort I've got everyone in 2x2 cupboards that are apparently considered "Good Bedrooms".

So question 1: Is it gross room size that matters or average room size?

2: Is a "Dark" room worth more or less than a "Light" room?

3: What kinds of furniture can I bribe nobles with to keep them semi-useful. (Or at least keep them from killing my legendary bone-carver with like a bazillion kids in the military.)
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

arbiter787

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING] noobishness.
    • View Profile
Re: Housing Value Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 01:29:31 am »

1: I don't know.
2: I don't think it matters.
3: Stuff encrusted with jewels, adamantine, high value stones like microcline. You can also put a lever in their room and link it to a bunch of stuff with high value mechanisms. The values of individual components like aforementioned mechanisms and encrusted jewels do figure into the value of the object. Artifacts with a lot of jems and high value stones on them are good for increasing room value too.
Most people say "I hate losing". I say "Hells yes I lost to a zombie unicorn rampage!

Miriage

• Bay Watcher
  • Insane Dwarf.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 01:41:41 am »

Masterwork furniture has something like a 15x value of standard price, so creating higher quality furniture makes a huge difference to room value. Room size is less important then what is put in a room.
Don't listen to a word I say, I am completely insane.
Does that mean you shouldn't listen to my pervious sentence and infact listen to everything I say?

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 02:49:19 am »

1. Not sure what you mean, 2x2 (1x4) engraved with bed, box, cupboard, door should be enough for most of your dwarfs, and your nobles should get better accommodation. I'd do 3x3 for the average nobles, 4x4 for the mayor, 5x5 for the baron, and 6x6 for the King/Queen. Or just differentiate with the furniture: 3x3 for every noble, but only masterwork stuff for the baron, 4x4 room with masterwork stuff for the King.

As long as you meet the minimum level they want, and nobody has better rooms they should be happy. And of course fulfill their mandates.

2. Light rooms should prevent cave adaptation, so they shouldn't vomit when outside. I don't think there's anything else to them.

3. Masterwork stuff. Or valuable raw materials (candy, gold, titanium, etc.). Be careful not to overshoot, and make your mayor's room into the most expensive when you have a baron or a king, because they won't be happy until their rooms are less valuable. Stick to the chain of power.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 04:34:43 am »

to keep a mayor or baron/duke etc happy just keep fulfulling the mandates and the rooms should be a minor issue. The captain of the guard can be given the occasional unarmed goblin to kill. Took joy in slaughter is a strong happy thought. A small note, the mayor may change from time to time. If that happens you need to reassign the rooms manually or the new mayor will get unhappy quite fast
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 04:46:36 am »

1. I don't understand what you mean. Room size does matter for room value, you can easily fulfil a noble's rooming requirements simply by assigning them a huge room, bare except for the required piece of furniture. And with 'huge', i mean something like 10x10 or more.

3. as others said, high-quality furniture does a lot for room value, but it's the raw monetary value that seems to count: a low-quality piece of gold furniture is worth more money than a masterwork piece of stone furniture and should give a bigger bonus to room value. Furniture encrusted with valuable gems massively increases in value, especially when the decorations themselves are of good craftsdwarfship.

Finally, the 'base material' of the room itself also matters: 'flux' stones - marble, limestone, dolomite - have double the normal value, obsidian is rated triple, ores other than bismuthinite at double or more (much more in the case of silver and gold), gem stones count at least double, the more common 'valuable' gems have 20x value. These materials can boost the value of rooms considerably not only when they make up the walls, but also if you mined them away and construct rooms on the floors they left behind. A room with a native gold floor is quite valuable, and this value shoots up quite a lot when that floor gets smoothed and engraved.

Regarding the 'good bedroom' comment above - a dwarf will consider a bedroom 'good' if it's better than what they require, and a common dwarf requires no bedroom at all (although they'll get a tiny bit unhappy if they lack one). A 1x1 wall-less room containing a XXglumprong bedXX on a vomit-covered muddy silt floor is a 'good bedroom' for Urist McPeasant.

Re: mayors - instead of re-assigning the room, you can also re-assign ('replace') the mayor. Other than elections, changes of mayor through nomination will not end standing mandates, which can become difficult to keep track of if the ousted mayor isn't a noble/administrator.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 09:10:44 am »

yeah, I just take it as a challenge to try and keep up with whatever worthless socializer won the elections this time, and again, and again... In one fort there were 2 dwarfs passing the position to the other every few years, with a third occasionally breaking into the show. It was actually kind of funny
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 03:48:59 am »

One time I had a tantrum spiral apparently because I gave everyone giant rooms and pissed off my Captain of the Guard (Who was also Military Commander) because his room was ONLY 15x15 and fully engraved.

Generally speaking, if a noble of any position gets pissed off about rooms, they aren't so much concerned about their own room (assuming it meets their minimum requirements); what they're really raging about is someone of a lower social standing has a room that's too good for them. I'm not sure if this is an issue for the Captain of the Guard, but Mayors, Barons, etc. have an annoying habit of flipping their beard because Urist McPeasant is sleeping in 'Decent Quarters' instead of 'Meager Quarters'.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 04:56:15 am »

I really don't know what's up with the nobles' complaints about 'lessers' possessions. The feelings seem to occur very infrequently and with a well-kempt noble, they never put a dent in their overall ecstatic bliss.

The most problematic case seems to be when someone has a room that's better than what the noble owns, but some of mine _do_ complain about a 'lesser's pretentious sleeping arrangements' when their own is the very best bedroom in the entire fort. Still, a duchess in a fort with four or five rooms apart from her own listed as 'royal bedroom' and well over a hundred dwarves accomodated 'decently' or better is still 'ecstatic' as well as 'traumatised' at the luxury some undisclosed commoner lives in. It may help that the duchess is put off by authority?

Another fort has a duchess 'put off' - not traumatised - by a lesser's pretentious office. Which is probably the 'decent' or 'fine' office of the CMD (a proper doctor must have an office, so i always assign my medics one); she should take more offence from the 'royal' throneroom of the manager - a 5x5 plot containing two tiles of wall, the rest is just open floor, and the contents of the room are a -diorite throne- and an exceptional alunite table (and lots of discarded old clothes). What accounts for the value is the floor, which is mostly engraved native gold.

I think the only dwarfs who'll get offended by others living too good a life are the actual landed nobles (baron/count/duke) and monarchs. At least my mayors never complain when dozens of others have better rooms than they.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 02:14:25 pm »

I give all my dwarves the exact same value of room, royal. (a bunch of overlapping rooms, heh heh).   I've only ever seen ONE noble complaining about pretentious sleeping arrangements...a baroness, as I recall.  I think she grabbed one of the lower quality beds, which would have resulted in a room worth about 100 dwarfbucks less than all the others...

This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"